User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    That's a pity.
    there are no handguns

or, as mentioned, logic

User

Default Re: Lead bullets banned in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    However, lead should still be allowed for self defense .
    In this life everything is subject to lead poisoning.

So are they going the ban fisherman from using lead sinkers also.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    there are no handguns

or, as mentioned, logic
    Ja, the Brits gave that up many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    That’ll kill recreational shooting.
    Of course it will - that's the idea. I know I'm going to get crapped on (again) for this, but having spent a good part of my life fighting against gun control, these days I'm putting my efforts into Cape Independence. What that has to do with gun control and lead bullets is (1) the people behind the independence initiative are freedom oriented and firearm friendly and (2) they are logical people who won't ban anything without very solid proof of need. Outfits like MRC and GFSA won't be taken seriously at all.

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    I believe though the biggest risk to shooters though is the lead compound in primers. Especially in an indoor range with no active ventilation. Fmj, cmj or powder coated rounds in an indoor range doesn't produce any lead dust, but the primers do.

I know in some places, you are restricted to using 'safe' primers, which contain another compound that contains no lead.

I know of at least one indoor range that has started to recycle the lead in their backstop and they cast and sell powder coated bullets. That's responsible and I approve.
    What I'd call solid lead that you can hold in your hands has insignificant health risk. In thirty years of commercial bullet casting I had bullets in my hands for several hours a day at least ten days a month. Because of that I got tested for lead poisoning every year or two and nothing was ever found. Fumes from melted lead are no risk because fuming occurs at temperatures way too hot to cast with. The real risks with lead seem to be fumes from other products that contain, or used to contain lead, like leaded petrol.

I've never seen evidence of airborne lead from primers. Lead styphnate is one of several primer compounds and is not widely used these days as far as I know but I stand to be corrected on that. But whether it is or not I doubt that the worry about it is anything but another of those groundless "safety" measures.

As lead alloy bullets pose no risk whatever, banning them from indoor ranges is pointless. Powder coated bullets work very well for their intended purpose of not leading barrels, but my concern is that they may be not re-meltable but I'd need to test that.

A few years ago California banned lead wheel weights because they said that wheel weights falling off cars were polluting the environment by leaching in wet weather. How often have you lost a wheel weight and I doubt that you'll find many at the roadside. In any case lead leaches so slowly as to be zero.

Somerset West Pistol Club sifts the bullets from its backstop from time to time, and some other ranges in the Cape Town area do as far as I know. Last time we got two tonnes. That's another reason why there's no pollution because it's recycled. Not that it pollutes anyway.

Banning lead is the easiest way to kill shooting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post

Banning lead is the easiest way to kill shooting.

As per post #4 then ?

User

I've no doubt that there is substantial overlap between gun haters and bunny huggers but I don't think that the UK thing is fundamentally driven by anti-gun sentiment. The hardcore environmental lobby there is very much more mainstream and powerful than here and political whores have to pay the piper.

S&B have been making NONTOX ammo for these markets for a while now
    No Barium, Lead, Antimony or Mercury

https://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/pro...ox-cartridges/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3