Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: One rifle one bullet (round) for hunting.

My choice
    T/C Venture 338WM(1:10) with a brake, mounted with a Monarch 4-16x42 BDC scope and loaded with Hornady 230gr ELD-x at 2750fps. Hornady's bullets just seems to work well, they are accurate, consistent and readily available. So the combo just works.

The rifle is extremely light so i can walk and stalk in the Limpopo bush for quite a long time without getting tired and with the brake the recoil is tamed alot.

User

308Win. 180gr Hornady Interlock @2450fps. Proven on everything from Eland down to duiker, works well, and available frequently to reload . If I hunted in more open areas more frequently, I probably would choose a different bullet/speed.

Got to be 308. 155gr for range and target work. And 150gr for hunting. Ive taken Kudu at 320m with a 150gr. All you need.

User

I did this exercise for myself a few years ago and this was my choice.

Winchester Mod70, pre 64 action in 300WM with 180gr Peregrine bullet.

I chose the Winchester Mod70 because i already have a Win Mod70 in 243 and wanted the same, although the 243 is push feed. I didn't want a 308, because there is already a 308 and 30-06 with other family members.

I wanted a locally made bullet. I have seen how friends have struggled at times to find imported bullets and i didn't want that for myself. I had a long chat to the guys from Peregrine at Huntex and decided that was the way i was going to go and there is always supply and why not support local.

So far i am very happy with everything that i have used the rifle / bullet combo on.

Thing with a 243 is. The moment you start shooting you need to start saving for a new barrel. As its hard on barrels.

User

7mm RM - Tikka T3 with 24" varmint profile barrel
    168gr Barnes LRX at 3000 fps using Retumbo
    Manners T2A stock with a very light fill
    Swarovski Z8i 2-16x50 with ballistic turret

Until my money boat comes in I am using the following:
    30-06 - Tikka T3 with 20" varmint profile barrel
    165gr Hornady Interbond at 2765 fps
    McMillan A5 stock
    Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50

User

This is my choice

.30-06 with Sako Hammerhead 180gr

I have been using this on springbuck up to kudu so far...going for my eland this season if I can find him...the ammo is in very short supply these days though.

User

My choice is the following
    Ruger Scout rifle in 308W, 165g Nosler Ballistic tips, Leupold 2.5x28mm Scout scope, Numenor Muzzle brake and suppressor combo with a Rhodesian sling.

Because its my primary hunting rifle and has killed everything from Springbuck to Eland up to 250m.
    Easy to shoot with very little recoil.

User

OK I'll play Messor for a minute, because he's bound to pop up and tell all of you (except me) are doing the wrong thing, i.e. not what he asked. He didn't ask "what are you currently hunting with and motivate why you use it", he asked "if you are in a position where you must define one rifle and load only, to shoot anything but dangerous game, what would that rifle and load be?". Thus, disregard what you have, but think about what would be the best thing to satisfy the hypothetical situation he sketched.

Of course Messor will tell me I'm wrong too, but only because I chose a 30-06!

User

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast