Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    OK I'll play Messor for a minute, because he's bound to pop up and tell all of you (except me) are doing the wrong thing, i.e. not what he asked. He didn't ask "what are you currently hunting with and motivate why you use it", he asked "if you are in a position where you must define one rifle and load only, to shoot anything but dangerous game, what would that rifle and load be?". Thus, disregard what you have, but think about what would be the best thing to satisfy the hypothetical situation he sketched.

Of course Messor will tell me I'm wrong too, but only because I chose a 30-06!
    In this case I will go for a 338WM with 200gr mono @ 2700fps.

User

Default Re: One rifle one bullet (round) for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bismarck 1941 View Post
    Got my Israeli Mauser now a month back.
    so far it shoots well with the 150Gr bullets,.

Which will be a good one for hunting if i may ask?

I have some Hornady Interlock's & S&B SPCE(these shoot great by the way-"Grouping wise")

Sorry Not trying to derail this interesting thread started by Messor.
    Both bullets will work on antelope at least up to Impala. Hornady will work better on everything.

User

308 win with 165 grain bullet at about 2600 fps. Nosler Accubond or Sierra HPBT, whichever is handy at the time, plan 3 is the same weight Hornady Interlock. Any will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean KZN View Post
    308 win with 165 grain bullet at about 2600 fps. Nosler Accubond or Sierra HPBT, whichever is handy at the time, plan 3 is the same weight Hornady Interlock. Any will do.
    I’m in exact same place. Used my T3x light in 308 on multiple hunts. Recoil is easy enough to practice lots, accurate enough and 165 g at 2600 has good enough MPBR to be perfect for hunting. And the rifle can be carried all day without strain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

So far,in all the posts on this thread i have not seen a bad choice. Any of the medium calibers will work with a decent bullet.

All have been sensible choices but no hunting rifle is complete without optics. I think that this is the issue that may cause a bit of controversy. In my experience and opinion,a lot of hunters overscope their hunting rifles and this leads to all sorts of related problems in the veld.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

I’ve found a 270gr TSX works well out of my 375H&H, from Impala to Zebra

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    So far,in all the posts on this thread i have not seen a bad choice. Any of the medium calibers will work with a decent bullet.

All have been sensible choices but no hunting rifle is complete without optics. I think that this is the issue that may cause a bit of controversy. In my experience and opinion,a lot of hunters overscope their hunting rifles and this leads to all sorts of related problems in the veld.
    Agree with this. To my mind hunting scope should not be “field fiddleable” Adjust at range, check it at farm and leave it. Rather memorize the drop compensation. I use Std 4-9 x40 Vx1. for hunting. All my other good scopes are for targets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

tcbc....i couldnt agree with you more.

User

Whiles I am pondering my own choice, the scope does not bother me.

Scope = experience

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Banned

Quite a while ago my statement was :- from .270 to .300 is a good calibre for general hunting, with the .300 having a slight edge with killing ability. With modern bullets this statement has gained added value.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast