Default . Night time shooting Scope enquiry

I have a bolt action .22 fitted with a Hawke 4-12*40 scope.
    I want to do some night time pest control, especially rats, but also other pests.
    What would be a relatively cheap setup to be able to do that?

Any information would be appreciated.

Banned

Default Re: . Night time shooting Scope enquiry

The cheapest would probably be a filter over a torch? One would have to test it on rats first.

Banned

Use the rifle as is and at close range do not use more than 6 power. Try it out on targets that you set out at different ranges. Scopes gather light and with a strong light source you should be able to cope adequately. Most jackal shooters use 10 power max as you battle to find your target at larger scope settings.

Nitecore has a nice scope mount and various flashlight options. I used a very redumentary Niko sterling torche with barrel mount to hunt bush pigs, but a better scope will have allowed more opportunities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I have a Nitesite Wolf for that very reason. It fits over your existing set up and you shoot looking on a display. Legitimately a lot of fun. When we hunted rabbit with it, my friend used his red flashlight as a marker to show me where critters were hiding. Oddly enough the red was the only colour the IR camera could pick up.

This is the kind of idea I am looking for.
    Will this setup work with a normal reticle or does it need a illuminated reticle?

User

You don't need an illuminated reticule, any reticule works just fine as long as the target is reasonably lit up. Test it yourself by going out at night and shining a torch at something in the garden and looking at it through your scope. Some backgrounds are easier than others but an illuminated reticule might even make it more difficult for you in certain circumstances eg if it is turned up too bright relative to the target/background.

Although the following torch (link below) is probably a bit overspecced for your purposes, I strongly recommend it. If you graduate later to larger animals and/or longer distances you will be well set up. I have used one for several years of night time shooting of species from rabbits to medium sized antelope. Distances vary from a few metres (torch zoomed well out) to over 100 metres (zoomed all the way in). Has white, red, green modules as well as UV. Mounts nicely on a rifle with a picatinny bracket.

If you use a white light with a red filter, you end up losing a lot of the light because the filter cuts out all light except the red (which is only a small proporting of the white light). You will get by with it but would be better off getting a red (or green) LED that emits only that colour light.

https://torchguy.com/products/brinyte-b158-bullseye

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I use a PARD as an "Economic" option. Works good enough for me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ABotha View Post
    This is the kind of idea I am looking for.
    Will this setup work with a normal reticle or does it need a illuminated reticle?
    I sent you a PM regarding one of these set ups.

Thanks guys, many a good options listed here.