Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Softening the thump of a 308

Why not use the 303, seeing she is comfortable with it?

You mention that she shoots the .303 well, what are the physical differences between the .308 and .303? Stock design and fit and type of recoil pad makes a huge difference in felt recoil.

If the .303 fits her and is accurate enough for hunting, why not let her use that as driepootx suggests above.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

The 303 is just heavier, believe it or not it’s still in military config, with brass butt plate. The only reason not to be use it is I’m not going to drill and tap it for a scope. I do believe the stock on the 303 is better for her than the “pigs back” stock on the 308. The 303 won’t be quick enough for hunting with her.

I’m starting to think a better recoil pad, a comb riser and silencer is the way to go.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

A silencer has other issues for the little ones unless she will always be at dead rest all the time. The balance of the rifle alters, maneuverability is affected in the bush, for this reason I am not a huge silencer fan. And a rifle without a front sight is a stick for me .

Dave's reduced load sounds great.

When you get set up just make sure that she has not remembered the .308 in a flinch. Test her for that.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Banned

[QUOTE=Andrew Leigh;

[U]When you get set up just make sure that she has not remembered the .308 in a flinch. Test her for that.[/QUO

[/U]

This recoil memory is a mysterious thing, I honestly believe its a form of PTS. Ok - on a much milder level, but a phytological stress nonetheless.
    It can be introduced with shooting along the way and its learnt as some or big or whatever rifles kick - hurt me, but this one does not - no flinch.
    If recoil is introduced as a beginning and somewhat unexpected occurrence I think the brain will randomly just hit some paranoia when shooting on occasion or worse "mostly" because it is always expecting a surprise injury to the body it defends.

After the .458 load development on a old military stock, I started shooting badly (I have posted this story a few times). One day about where Cody was shooting pellet gun on the stool picture, I had a shot with the pellet gun of a dead rest. The very first shot with no sound, no recoil from the pellet gun showed a violent tensing of body on trigger pressure commencement.
    It was a job overcoming that flinch even as a adult who knew what was going on.

I load 155gr with 40gr S335. Cant say its got alot of kick. But I have a varmint barrel.
    Also add a suppressor. Reduces sound and takes alot of kick/thump away.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    A silencer has other issues for the little ones unless she will always be at dead rest all the time. The balance of the rifle alters, maneuverability is affected in the bush, for this reason I am not a huge silencer fan. And a rifle without a front sight is a stick for me .

Dave's reduced load sounds great.

When you get set up just make sure that she has not remembered the .308 in a flinch. Test her for that.
    Thanks Andrew, yes, a range session is about 10 shots MAX to prevent a flinch.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    From someone who has just spend 16K on hearing protection, as I am going deaf, I wish silencers were a thing 20 years ago...
    All the Plains Game rifles have silencers on, DG rifles are without.
    But I can actually see the difference in the younger kids when they realise that the noise and recoil is reduced. The kids get used to the slight change in the rifles balance, and shoot better than before
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    I load 155gr with 40gr S335. Cant say its got alot of kick. But I have a varmint barrel.
    Also add a suppressor. Reduces sound and takes alot of kick/thump away.
    My current load is a150gr bullet

User

I found to have them double plugged, with decent plugs and decent muffs help quite a bit to reduce/prevent a flinch

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast