Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Lazer printing on mags

Attachment 34454I am at home due to a bout of flu or whatever, and out of boredom, I tried my newly built laser cutter on a Glock plastic magazine... I now feel like a teenager with a can of spray paint ! It came out better than expected.
    I'm already measuring the stock of my shotgun...
    I suppose it is a no-no in terms of the FAC Act by lasering anything on the action or barrel ?
    Last edited by FrancoisOK; 06-04-2022 at 13:38. Reason: Added picture

User

Default Re: Lazer printing on mags

I think you have a beer money making opportunity on your hands there.

I doubt there is any rule on adding stuff. As long as you do not alter the serial number

User

On applications it does ask for any ingravings ect. If memory serves me correctly. So in that it should be acceptable....... but don't take my word for it

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    I doubt there is any rule on adding stuff. As long as you do not alter the serial number
    Yes, was thinking more about "decorative" engraving...

Shotgun.jpg

User

I'm speaking out of my ear here but I'd expect that additional markings on the metal would be equivalent to decorative engraving, which when a mate of mine had it done a few years back came with no licensing/CFR implications.

The resolution of that printing on the mag, at least as far as the pic shows it, looks fantastic.

User

The resolution can be adjusted, yes. The "engraving" on the shotgun stock actually is so crisp that I thought of giving it a once over with fine steel wool, just to make it look less machined. I guess I 'll rather leave it like that, but all in all, I'm happy like it is !

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I think you have a beer money making opportunity on your hands there.
    Definitely - I would like to mark my mags because I currently print Dymo labels and then put clear tape over them and this doesn't last well when you're dropping mags on the range all the time.

I wonder what the machine is ? Francois ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by HadEnuf View Post
    Definitely - I would like to mark my mags because I currently print Dymo labels and then put clear tape over them and this doesn't last well when you're dropping mags on the range all the time.

I wonder what the machine is ? Francois ?
    What type of mags are they ? On the plastic glock mags it came out very well, it is about 0.2 to 0.5 mm deep, so one can even infill it with a bit of paint. If it is metal mags, it probably wouldn't engrave into the metal.
    Glock mag.jpg

User

A quick test on a powder coated steel magazine. It penetrated the layer of paint, but not the steel. I suppose one can still use some paint filler to make it more visible.
    IMG_20220407_152659[1884].jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast