Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Turkish Shotguns

A lot of us have seen, fondled, considered, and in many cases, bought one of the many well-priced Turkish shotguns floating around in the market today.

However, not much is known about these guns and a typical Google search usually brings up ... nothing.

Obviously asking a dealer who stocks these shotties will elicite only the hymns of the angels. And there's a good chance you'll get a repeat performance from owners of them too! So you can expect as much objectivity as a decision from a policitian who's side-chick's company is tendering for a lucrative goverment contract.

It seems, however, that some of these Turkish wonders have now made their way to the good folks over at TFB TV. And they too are equally puzzled by the origins of these exotic creatures.

Using their lack of FCA's and other totalitarian bondage, James and Co have been hard at work putting these budget shotguns through their paces to try and get a true feel of just what it is we're dealing with.

While the videos are, of course, intended to be entertainment they do also pose a question. In the SA climate, with our arduous licensing processes, are the savings over established brands worth the effort?

We're bound to get a lot of "just as good" and "ran flawlessly through half of box of bird shot the day I bought it 5 years ago" type comments. This thread is not intended to pick on owners of Turkish shotguns, but rather to establish the quality of these firearms and how they will hold up over time in direct comparison to the big name brands with long histories of service.

I know of more than a handful of folks who pulled their shotties out the safe for the first time in yonks during last years "festival of freebies" and didn't have the requisite skill to handle them with any semblance of proficiency. Anecdotally a lot of people (gun-owners, and none) are thinking about getting a budget pump too and are looking at these Turkish brands.

Now, add the lack of skill with an unreliable weapon and what you have is a good old fashioned recipe for disaster.

In any case, watch and enjoy.

Banned

Default Re: Turkish Shotguns

I have one, put about 500 rounds down range..no problems so far....was an impulse buy...I used to shoot clays with Rizzini OU...If I could go back in time I would buy a Remington or Mossberg .....I don't go into gunshops with my wallet anymore.....PS I put a folding stock with a pistol grip for R700 on it a few months ago....

User

Yes was going to say would rather have a used Mossie, Remington or Winchester than a Turkish shotgun.

The brand I have experience with is Armed. Absolute junk.

Banned

Arthemis Khan O/U. Has cost me more in fixing broken firing pins than it's original cost. I shoot very poorly with it.

Bought another O/U - named as Norinco but no name on it. Fixed chokes. Cost me R3500. One of the ejectors does not function 100% but I can hit the birds I aim at.

User

Based on personal experience I would say that with shotguns you shouldn't scrimp. Pay the money and get a good gun. With bolt action rifles you can take a chance and buy the cheap gun and same for a pistol (unless you need it for self defence). The difference between a good shotgun and a kak shotgun is much greater then the difference between a good rifle and a kak rifle.

Look at reviews from UK, As they are the people who know shotguns.

Guys like PremierGuns. TSC - The Shooting Channel and TGS Outdoors.

They review alot of very good shotguns. Mostly O/U.

But they do show the Turkish brands. And have very high praise for them

You will even see certain models they refer to as the Benelli of Turkey.

As Turkey copies Beretta and Benelli very closely. They even go so far as to say that for Example Beretta and Benelli has some of their barrels and actions made in Turkey due to costs. And those factories then just carries that over into theirs.

Any case look at those reviews as well.

But nothing wrong with Turkish made.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Look at reviews from UK, As they are the people who know shotguns.

Guys like PremierGuns. TSC - The Shooting Channel and TGS Outdoors.

They review alot of very good shotguns. Mostly O/U.

But they do show the Turkish brands. And have very high praise for them

You will even see certain models they refer to as the Benelli of Turkey.

As Turkey copies Beretta and Benelli very closely. They even go so far as to say that for Example Beretta and Benelli has some of their barrels and actions made in Turkey due to costs. And those factories then just carries that over into theirs.

Any case look at those reviews as well.

But nothing wrong with Turkish made.
    The Sulun TAC-12, is colloquially referred to here as the "Turknelli". It retails for about 25% of the asking price of a Benelli M4. They work very well for the price.

User

TSC reviewed a Turkish Perazzi clone, think it was a Yildiz Pro Sporter, and gave it pretty high praise for it's quality. The stuff we get here is probably mainly budget basement stuff as we are poors compared to our Brit and European cousins and the spotty quality we experience could be accounted for that by that.

Many people forget that Italian shotguns haven't always been on the gold standard. There was a time when they were regarded as cheap shit compared to English guns. I suspect that the Turkish guns at the upper end of the quality spectrum will also achieve solid reputations and when they do they will cease to trade at such a significant discount.
    Last edited by oafpatroll; 08-04-2022 at 10:04. Reason: correction

User

My late father bought a Smith and Wesson .... many many years back and now part of my arsenal and still 100%. Cheap but name brand I would go for if posible.
    Estimate age of pump 40 odd years

I got myself a Huntgroup M13 cammo semi - Flawless so far and is a dove killing beast with about 700 ish rounds through it

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast