Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Question Vortex Strike Eagle

I have my first AR license approved .
    The wait, from competence to approval has taken 23 months. I still have another 6 weeks or so to wait for my card, before I can get my grubby hands on my Ruger MPR.

I am going to pair my Ruger with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 x 24.
    My question is, should I buy the current one available (SFP) or should I wait for the new model later this month (FFP)?

I am aware of the benefits of SFP vs FFP on my hunting and long range rifles but I'm not sure of the Pro's/Con's on an AR.
    The newer model will be more expensive and I'm not sure an AR needs a FFP scope? I assume that the FFP would be more precise at lower magnifications and closer targets?

Any input would be appreciated.

User

Default Re: Vortex Strike Eagle

The SFP have hold overs for different distances at 8x magnification. In a AR16 this is for me good enough.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    The SFP have hold overs for different distances at 8x magnification. In a AR16 this is for me good enough.
    Both SFP and FFP have hold-overs.
    The advantage of the FFP is that the hold-overs are the same, regardless of the magnification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsieEC View Post
    Both SFP and FFP have hold-overs.
    The advantage of the FFP is that the hold-overs are the same, regardless of the magnification.

Go figure if the benefit is big enough to justify the price difference.

User

If you are going to shoot at distance you will most likely be on x8 power, and therefore the holdovers are valid. At short range you will have a lower power setting anyway and might not need a holdover. The problem arises once you have a x22 SFP and need to do a holdover at an intermediate range and the x22 magnification is too much, but x8 SFP will be fine. I am all for FFP on long range optics, but rather equip the rifle with a fit for purpose optic. I see way too many people spending massive amounts of cash on optics and end up never clicking a single dail on it and/or are incapable of properly applying holdovers. Then we did not even mention the parallax adjustment. Don't buy a scope smarter than you, and don't buy a scope to impress the crowd at the range. If you do not fall into the forementioned categories by all means wait for the FFP, but think it over if you will really use holdovers at x4 or x6.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HugoB View Post
    If you are going to shoot at distance you will most likely be on x8 power, and therefore the holdovers are valid. At short range you will have a lower power setting anyway and might not need a holdover. The problem arises once you have a x22 SFP and need to do a holdover at an intermediate range and the x22 magnification is too much, but x8 SFP will be fine. I am all for FFP on long range optics, but rather equip the rifle with a fit for purpose optic. I see way too many people spending massive amounts of cash on optics and end up never clicking a single dail on it and/or are incapable of properly applying holdovers. Then we did not even mention the parallax adjustment. Don't buy a scope smarter than you, and don't buy a scope to impress the crowd at the range. If you do not fall into the forementioned categories by all means wait for the FFP, but think it over if you will really use holdovers at x4 or x6.
    The scope Woodsie is talking about is a 1 to 6 or 1 > 8 magnification. Mostly used in Ipsc style rifle shoots where you have to transition between 5m targets and far plates/targets. Normally you run and gun the closer ones and as you go prone or kneeling you throw the switch lever over to higher magnification.

Haha and now I wonder if my Vortex 1>6 is FFP or SFP, now I can use it as a excuse for my dismal performance at the last league.

User

Default Vortex Strike Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    The scope Woodsie is talking about is a 1 to 6 or 1 > 8 magnification. Mostly used in Ipsc style rifle shoots where you have to transition between 5m targets and far plates/targets. Normally you run and gun the closer ones and as you go prone or kneeling you throw the switch lever over to higher magnification.

Haha and now I wonder if my Vortex 1>6 is FFP or SFP, now I can use it as a excuse for my dismal performance at the last league.
    SFP.
    FFP is new to the Strike Eagle 1-8x24 range. Has yet to arrive in the country. Is due towards the end of the month but I would guess that the rain in Durban will delay that by a few weeks - it’s a real mess!
    Condolences to all the Durban peeps - sterkte gents!!! From riots to rain, what a time to live in Durban.

My limited knowledge says that a FFP scope would be more precise at close range. At low magnifications the reticle would remain in proportion to the target vs the SFP which would dominate the target or even cover the very small targets.
    Is this thinking correct??

User

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsieEC View Post

My limited knowledge says that a FFP scope would be more precise at close range. At low magnifications the reticle would remain in proportion to the target vs the SFP which would dominate the target or even cover the very small targets.
    Is this thinking correct??

Depends on the reticle design. Will be thinner at low, thicker at high magnification. SFP reticle srays the same. Most of the FFP Vortex reticles are the same at max magnification, so thinner at lowest magnification. Maybe more precise, but harder to see esp in low light.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I would go SFP. The reticle will not dominate the target at all.

FFP on alot of scopes when you go down in magnification the crosshairs or marks become so small its even hard to see.

What I have realized over years of shooting is that if you think to much on your gear you shoot bad. As your brain is thinking to much when your shooting trying to think of all the variables. And this just slows you down and gives you excuses when you have a bad score.

User

Having shot a 3 years of ipsc rifle with a Strike Eagle 1-6, and having just recently made the switch to a Primary Arms SLX 1-8 FFP.

My takeaway is that I think a FFP is better, provided the illumination is daylight bright. At 1x the reticle is really small.

I prefer knowing the dope will be accurate no matter the magnification, but if you know your zero and holds it's not an issue in ipsc.

I did not like how big the reticle on the strike eagle was at 1x personally, but even more so I found the reticle cluttered at 1x due to its size.

Most of the time if I'm shooting targets between 5m and maybe out to 100m and I need to transition between them... i would not throw the magnification and take the Charlie, rather than loose time throwing and then rethrowing the magnification.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast