Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default What kit do you use and how do you use it?

I’m not talking bows and broadheads but rather the smaller bits of equipment that you have found to be useful when bow hunting. I have been bow hunting for nearly 20 years and recently purchased my first range finder and have been practising in the garden with it. The range finder has necessitated adding a few steps to my routine by slowly and quietly unclipping it from my belt, ranging the target, then slowly and quietly clipping it back. I have yet to try this while wearing my usual ghillie suit, mask and gloves but so far I’ve found having really accurate distances has improved my shooting quite a lot.
    I don’t normally carry binoculars unless out with my rifle but I’m wondering if any one else finds the positives outweighs the negatives? Apart from my ghillie suit, bow and now range finder I also carry a fixed blade knife and leatherman.
    What else could I try out that might add value?
    Thanks!

User

Default Re: What kit do you use and how do you use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gundane View Post
    I’m not talking bows and broadheads but rather the smaller bits of equipment that you have found to be useful when bow hunting. I have been bow hunting for nearly 20 years and recently purchased my first range finder and have been practising in the garden with it. The range finder has necessitated adding a few steps to my routine by slowly and quietly unclipping it from my belt, ranging the target, then slowly and quietly clipping it back. I have yet to try this while wearing my usual ghillie suit, mask and gloves but so far I’ve found having really accurate distances has improved my shooting quite a lot.
    I don’t normally carry binoculars unless out with my rifle but I’m wondering if any one else finds the positives outweighs the negatives? Apart from my ghillie suit, bow and now range finder I also carry a fixed blade knife and leatherman.
    What else could I try out that might add value?
    Thanks!
    I also found that a range finder improved my shooting, guessing can go wrong on the best of days
    Maybe Google a few ideas with the rangefinder. There are quick access options on the shoulder using elastic material as well as other options.
    If you are going to range an animal you want to move as little as possible, unclipping and re-clipping on the belt seams like a lot to do.
    Mine hangs about halfway down my torso on a thin sling.
    Tried gloves on the range once but it changes my POI, probably due to anchoring differently
    I don't carry bino's with the bow, just use the slight magnification on the rangefinder if needed, the areas I bow hunt bino's won't be of much assistance due to the thick bush

Banned

Try wear your rangefinder like a big watch. That's the only thing other than failure I can contribute bow hunting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Calevra View Post
    Tried gloves on the range once but it changes my POI, probably due to anchoring differently
    Had the same problem.With gloves the impact point changed drastically. Other shooter says you are "torquing" the bow if impact change. I set the wrist strap one notch bigger and was then on target again with gloves. I made a mark with a pen next to the hole to remind me when shooting with gloves.

Remember to practice with all your gear on (ghilly suit, face mask, cap, binoc, range finder, backpack in carry position etc) the same way you are going to hunt I had to remove material on the inside of my bow arm as the string was chaffing on the material of the ghilly suit You will find that the position of you optics may be in the way while drawing or goes bump bump while you walk. Use your equipment like binoc and rangefinder in the position you'll carry them. Best is to have a shoulder strap that they hang below your trigger arm or on the kidney out of the way. Make sure it easy to use and noise free. What works for one does not works for another shooter I also had to alter the opening of the face mask as you twist your head sideways when drawing the left eye get covered by the way the face mask pull to the side.

User

Thanks for the replies so far- very good points all around.

User

Not a bowhunter but a rifle "voorsit" technique that works - when settled in your position/hide, range a few items, bush, fence post, tree etc. out to your max (you can even place items at the 10, 20, 30m marks depending on your pin setup) and note them where you can read them without movement.

User

Anyone using a ghillie suit?
    I am contemplating getting one for walk and stalk with the bow

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

User

I use a ghillie suit that I made. I find that it works extremely well and wouldn’t try walking and stalking without it. I have even used it when hunting with my rifle and have been able to get really close to impala which I think says a lot.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Calevra View Post
    Anyone using a ghillie suit?
    Most bow hunters that W&S use a leafy suit (not ghillie suit). A leafy suit is lightweight, have good airflow and cheap. A ghillie suit is heavy, sweaty and expensive. Instead of buying 3 camou shirts, 3 trousers and 1 jacket you buy 1 ghillie suit. In hot weather you can wear only your jockstrap and tekkies underneath it and in cold weather you can wear you favourite pink winter jacket underneath the leafy suit. The animals wont know the difference. When in base camp, undress the leafy suit and keep it away from smoke and petrol/diesel fumes to get it contaminated with odour.

If you leafy suits get torn, just stitch it and the amendments actually then improves the camou blending in, instead of your torn camou shirts that is not your favourite shirts anymore. All hunters claimed that they have never got so close to animals with that suit on. Including me. I once got within 15 m from a warthog. He look at me but could not determine if I was a threat. I changed the bow to the shooting hand, remove and knock an arrow, raise the bow and draw. Everything in slow moves while I'm been stared down. So yes, the leafy/ghillie suit does give you an advantage. provided all other techniques like movement and smell is controlled.

https://www.parktownstores.co.za/out...y-combo-hamper

User

That looks like a good deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast