Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Lightbulb Bipod and or Stick usage when Hunting

Hi all

I have recently had my licence approved for a second rifle and been pondering on bipods and their various lengths and what application you would have at the various lengths they come in.
    So as a result I have been reading up on some old threads and have some questions.

• Do you use a Bipod or Shooting Sticks or both?
    • If you use a bipod:
      • Which length did you choose and why?
      • Are you happy with your choice given hindsight?

• If you use shooting sticks:
      • Did you opt for a mono, bipod, tripod or did you get one of those ones that secures the rifle in the front and back(I don't know what they're called - you're more than welcome to enlighten me)?
      • Do you use them often when out in the bush or just find something to rest against?

• Finally if you use both:
      • Please answer both of the above and also tell me under which applications do you use them?

You don't have to answer in bullet points or anything like that. I really enjoy reading a lot of your opinions and when you detail your experiences so please feel free to give me scenarios and stuff.

User

Default Re: Bipod and or Stick usage when Hunting

I’ll be the first to answer my thread.

I currently only have shooting sticks and opted for a tripod by Primos. I took them with me on every trip and used them on roughly half of the animals I have harvested since I started hunting several years back.
    I found the sticks to be easy enough to use but have always given the sticks to the guides - sometimes one of them would bump the legs against stuff during a stalk creating a ‘nice metallic sound’ spooking the animals we were approaching.

I recently found out that leaving your sticks on the back of the bakkie to let others use them too may sound like a generous idea but comes with a price…I had to replace my sticks end of last year as they were literally about to float in all the blood lying flat on the back of the van that no matter how much I tried I could not get it all out and it was either that or the water that killed them. The legs were stuck in place after the cleaning and after several failed attempts to release the legs while holding in the trigger I eventually forced it in frustration…completely effing them up.

I don’t personally like to use a branch, rock etc. as a rest if I can help it, but have don so on the odd occasion.

I carry a nice little tripod stool in my backpack and have sat comfortably in between the trees using the sticks to ambush an animal that was headed my way too so I do feel they’re versatile as I keep dreaming up new positions to use them in.

I am however showing interest in bipods now that I am waiting to collect my licence card for my second rifle.

User

I currently use the Viper Flex shooting sticks, there is a link below to an article in our blog. They are expensive and not easily available but the locally made 4Deadhold sticks will serve the same purpose. Hunting is my job, I hunt virtually every day, either guiding hunters or doing the shooting part (shooting 200-300 animals a year for a predator project) myself. I've tried bipods, sitting length and prone length, for a season and gave up on them, they have too many limitations. Due to terrain and vegetation, sitting and kneeling positions are often not viable, prone positions even less so. There are very few situations where you can not stand. Over an almost 30 year period I have tried virtually every commercially available and many home made shooting sticks. Nothing compares to the Viper Flex (with 5th leg) but the 4Deadhold (again with 5th leg) comes close. The article in the link below explains what to look for in shooting sticks. There is also a link to the 4Deadhold website.

https://bigwatersafaris.com/blog/201...-flex-journey/

https://www.4deadhold.com/

User

When not hunting with clients , i hunt alone.
    I will not hunt on a farm where a 'guide' has to accompany me. I do realise that in todays hunting environment that this is not the norm. I am fortunate enough to have access to a few farms where i have built up friendships with the land owners over many years and am allowed to do my own thing.
    I hunt without sticks. I hate them. For the most part,i carry my rifle in my hands,of which i have only 2 [hands that is]. That leaves me with no extras to lug along shooting sticks. The damn things are awkward,take to long to set up and are just a general pain to haul along. I use binos a lot and having no free hands interferes with their usage.

As far as rifle mounted bi-pods are concerned.....they are the easiest way to stuff up a rifle which is being carried more than being shot.

Banned

Bipods are so lovely to shoot with, all you need is the correct terrain, correct length grass and bush, reasonably level ground so you can lie down and a flat enough belly to lie on and shoot. If you shooting from a sitting position, all you have to do is find animals that are on level ground After the above shooting conditions are met all you have to do is find a animal that are not on the move or moving frequently. If the above criteria is met then it becomes worthwhile having a front heavy, heavy over shoulder rifle.

Shooting sticks every time for me, my only criteria is they must be able to be short enough to allow sitting shots, my favourite type of shooting (They all long enough to allow standing shots). I often drop one leg on my sticks to max and use my stixs to support my binno's for long glassing sessions, be that watching a buck for hours till it moves to position, come out of the thick stuff or just glassing big spaces for a long period - try do that with your bi-pods. I also use my stix in short form to aid my glassing a area by putting ends into waist, belt or pocket and resting binno's on "V" end.
    My stix are also used to put in nearest road point for when coming back to retrieve a animal. I have a small folding knife, a gut hook strapped to my stixs and a stuck bullet remover rod in my stix legs(one piece each leg). I can pass my stix to a mate to use, again unlike bi-pods
    Try do any of above extra benefits with a bi-pod! I suppose they good for driven shoots and some select occasions where you get to choose the field of engagement, but for walk and stalk, even sit and wait hunting ...... Naaaaaaaaaa!!!!

User

Default Bipod and or Stick usage when Hunting

I use a combination of all.
    My setup is completely dependent on the farm I’m hunting on and the animals we hunting.

I have 2 sets of bipods. A 13 and a 27inch - one for prone shots and one for sitting. I find anything longer than 27 inches flex’s too much and is no better than a fence or tree.

I also have a standard set of tripod trigger sticks and a set of quad sticks with a 5th leg I added to the front. For me, regardless of the sticks I’m using the support leg always needs to be stretching away from me. I am always most comfortable when I’m able to push forward on the sticks, when shooting.

I use my 13inch bipod and quad sticks for springbok in the open planes. Where I’m able to lay prone or use my sticks and completely stabilize myself amongst trees. I also find my quads work well on kudu in the mountains when we have time, glassing and stalking slowly.

I use my longer bipod and tripod trigger sticks for more bushveld hunting or warthogs, where things happen quickly or we need to move positions quickly.

There is no perfect combination but I always like to give myself more than one option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I used the 4stable sticks, but my Tracker left them in the veld 3 weeks ago.
    I have now bought the locally made 4dead hold sticks.
    In my opinion, these are far better than the stable sticks.
    You can adjust to using them sitting, kneeling or standing.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

My homemade quad sticks with 5th leg. Perfect height to sit on rock/chair for Karoo voorsit, or shoot kneeling.

https://imgur.com/gallery/QKxPjH7

I also have a set of 4Deadhold for kids or when I need to shoot standing, they adjust precisely so can get them comfortable for any position

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mfn6TnQ

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

User

Last year's hunt was my first time using sticks and was not my own but one available on the farm. Was the 2 legged kind that unfolds with the rubber locking mechanism and was very flimsy. Man I hated it and I lost confidence in my shooting abaility while using those things. Lots of lessons learned that day......

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

When hunting alone I don't use any sticks as carrying them together with a rifle poses problems on getting through bushes without being noisy. I hate bipods. They just cannot work with my type of walk and stalk hunting.

When my son is hunting with me we carry sticks. (Jim Shockey tripod). We move slowly through the bush and like to hunt by listening. When walking and stopping and being quiet animals can be heard a lot of times without seeing them. Then we sit down and set up the tripod at sitting length and glass and listen and wait to see what is where. In this way sometimes you realise that you are actually sitting in a herd of Impala or Kudu for instance. For this sitting and waiting and maybe sneaking around by shifting on our bums the tripod are priceless for quick and accurate shooting as you can keep the rifle pointed at an area where you believe the herd or individuals will pass through or keep the sights on one that are behind bushes and if he just moves a bit to have open vitals can securely take the shot. It also gives you time to study the planned bullet path an note twigs and branches in the way. If too much, pass the shot.

When getting the opportunity for standing shots at longer distances (for me longer distances are beyond 50 meters. I don't shoot off hand further than 50 m.) I will also use the tripod and take the shot when standing and my son always uses it. If I am alone and don't have the sticks I simply pass on the further shots or try to get a rest from a tree or bush.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast