Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Low profile gas block

My 16" Stag Arms was so over-gassed that it damaged most of my cases and ripped the rims off several of my cases. First try the gun and see if it needs a adjustable gasblock. I don't see much of a problem with a adjustable block,you adjust, set it, lock and forget.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
    Why would you say this?

If it is not required the complexity just ads another possible failure point?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Exactly my thinking.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
    A lot of systems that are available is carbine length. Mid length is something you have to look out for and rifle (full) length is most probably a special order.

Run of the mil systems are over gassed because it increases reliability when using a wide range of ammo.

I had a 16" barrel cut down to 14.2" and it seems like it is perfectly gassed now throwing brass at 3 o'clock with a fixed gass block. This is also a carbine lentgh system and I have had no issues.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    I was thinking of shortening my barrel to 14.5 as well.

I have a 16 inch barrel and a carbine length gas system. Very over gased.

I'd prefer a shorter barrel to match the has system. I'd need to play with buffer weights then too.

Who did your barrel reduction?

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    I might have one.
    I bought one from the US for my Smith and Wesson M&P 15 sport, and was supposed to remove the A2 front sight, and fit the gas block, but have decided to rather keep the sight on.
    Will have to check up on the size
    Ok awesome. What brand?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    Feel like I've said this before on this forum, but anyways.

An adjustable gas block on most AR15's is a good investment, as 99% are over gassed with the exception of a few higher end guns aimed at competition.

The issue is that the word adjustable should be chuckled and rather tunable used. In that you set it up and adjust it to run with a regular carbine buffer (I will get to why) with whatever competition ammo you load, or to run the weakest factory ammo that is available reliably.

You will have a softer shooting gun, that is not over gassed, meaning your BCG velocity will be reduced, which means longer service life.
    A heavier buffer is just a band aid masking the problem, and although your recoil impulse will feel softer as it will be over a longer period, vs a lighter buffer all that mass still needs to be sent forward.

If you shoot well enough, or pay enough attention to your reticle you will notice more muzzle dip on bolt closure, not to mention with the higher closing velocity you add more stress on the locking lugs and cam pin as they close.

People speak about gas system lengths, but the reality is that when the AR15 was first designed there was a specific length from the muzzle to the gas port. Now my memory is a little fuzzy on which length barrel the carbine gas system was designed around but it had the same distance from muzzle to gas port as the original 20", the same for the midlegth gas system as the 16" barrel.

All this is done to mimic the dwell time of the original 20" gun, but there is a trade off as the gas port is still closer to the breach. Recoil on shorter gas systems is generally perceived to be higher for same load compared with longer gas system as the pressure drop off from the gas port to the gas key is lower than the longer gas system.
    This also leads to further increased Bolt Velocities, and in some cases early unlocking of the bolt. It's very well known about the early Vietnam era Colt Commandos that destroyed themselves due to this.
    Interesting, thanks.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    My 16" Stag Arms was so over-gassed that it damaged most of my cases and ripped the rims off several of my cases. First try the gun and see if it needs a adjustable gasblock. I don't see much of a problem with a adjustable block,you adjust, set it, lock and forget.
    I've shot about 1000 rounds out my AR.

The problem is it's got an aluminum gas block which for the life of me I can't figure out why the manufacturer was dumb enough to make this part from such an unsuitable material (for task) for probably the most important part of the rifle other than the BCG.

Just to save what, a couple $? Really annoying and unnecessary.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    I've shot about 1000 rounds out my AR.

The problem is it's got an aluminum gas block which for the life of me I can't figure out why the manufacturer was dumb enough to make this part from such an unsuitable material (for task) for probably the most important part of the rifle other than the BCG.

Just to save what, a couple $? Really annoying and unnecessary.
    My AR was so over-gassed after day one I started to carry, 2 taped-up welding rods to tapp the case out of the chamber. When I installed my adjustable gasblock it was still way over gassed and I modified the bleeding screw's tip. And now it runs 100%

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2