Default What can be done except waiting it out..

Morning. It involves a private sale of a rifle. The said rifles license was due to be renewed before owner decided to sell. He applied for the Renewal in the correct time window, 3 months before expiry. He then decided to sell the firearm, which I bought. Renewal hasn’t moved at all in 6 months - is there anything that can be done except waiting for the renewal to be processed before I’d be able to apply for the license for the Rifle? Has anybody had a similar scenario, I knew the status of his current license and that he had applied for the renewal when I bought the rifle, so no gripes with this at all. Can a firearm that has a renewal application pending be dealer stocked for instance? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: What can be done except waiting it out..

So if the license has now lapsed you have to wait for the renewal. Unfortunately you can’t dealer stock it either.

You can cancel the renewal but then it’ll become an unlicensed firearm and no one will touch it.

User

.... I would apply with copies of owners copy of invoice and all paperwork supporting his application for renewal, with maybe an avidavid .... six months your application would've been half way ;) ��

User

My brother sold his pistol to a friend with his renewal pending. Friend licensed the pistol and renewal app was cancelled when friend's licence was approved. This was BC (before covaids) Your mileage may vary ...

User

Is the license not valid until the renewal is completed. in that case the dealer stocking of the firearm can take place?

I had bought 2 guns from a friend. He was not going to renew in any case. I applied for the licences 6weeks before expiry. Have approval for licenses (just the freaking card outstanding). The licences expired in November. Both Olifantsfontein
    and Lyttelton DFO's was contacted in this regard and both confirmed it could be done.

Both FA lying at his house with an copy of my application and an affidavit stating the procedures. Saving on storage cost.

My suggestion is, get the application started. CFR should manage appropriately.

As stated earlier, if the licence has lapsed, you might have to wait.

Thanks for the feed back. License expired end of January but renewal was submitted last year September. I’ll have to wait it out, don’t want to risk messing the renewal up as it’s a gun I’m more than happy to put the time in for and wait it out to be safe. It’s a pre64 375 in as close to new condition as you could possibly get.

User

If the renewal application was captured before expiry date, then the license has not lapsed or expired. It is legally valid. Any new application will also not be blocked by the "system".

The only issue I can see is that someone might get seriously confused by 2 different applications for the same FA in the system.

User

I know of a case where someone at Cfr noticed two applications for the same firearm and just cancelled the one. He had to reapply all over again. Trust me wait it out