User

Default FAL magazines identification

Does anybody know the original manufacturer of these FAL magazines that I purchased from Classic Arms? The magazines are ex-Rhodesian/Zimbabwean military surplus.

The only identification mark is a "ST" and six numbers stamped on the right side, oriented longitudinally - example below:

Attachment 34478

They are unusual in that they have the metric style small front locking lug that is merely punched out of the body of the magazine - however their floorplates are inch style, which are wider than the magazine body, and have a "button" release on the bottom.

On the FAL Files forum, some say these metric/inch style magazines with the ST marking were originally manufactured by FN Herstal for the Libyan contract, while other members mention South African manufacture.

Not sure that I agree with the South African manufacture assertion, as the South African manufactured magazines that I have are completely metric style with either the UM and R-C (Raleigh Cycle Works) mark and/or manufacturing date, else no markings.

Also is there any meaning to the stamped ST numbers e.g. a date or batch number?
    ST 027905
    ST 057906
    ST 097702
    ST 097804

User

Default Re: FAL magazines identification

I got a magazine exactly like that with my refurbished FN, that was ex-Zimbabwean rifle.

I don't think they are SA made either.

Hi

The metric-imperial Rhodesian magazines are in fact an unique Rhodesian creation. Before UDI Rhodesia were supplied with British L1A1 rifles and the relevant magazines (imperial/inch pattern). These featured the L1A1 magazine floorplate and had a small machined block attached to the front of the magazine body. Post-UDI these L1A1 rifles were relegated to secondline duty and Rhodesia was issued with FN FALs of various manufacturers and obtained from various sources. These rifles all used the metric magazines. Because Rhodesia was chronically short of everything, the decision was taken to rework the L1A1 magazines to fit in the FN FAL rifles for while FAL magazines will fit a L1A1, a L1A1 magazine will not fit a FN FAL. Seeing as that the L1A1 was by used by secondline units, the decision was obvious.

These magazines were reworked by Rhodesian Army armourers and the modification consisted of the following:
    1. The machined front block/lip was removed
    2. A small "lip" (as is found an a FN FAL magazie) was punched in the front of the magazine body by means of a special die made in Rhodesia
    3. These magazines were then reblued

If you inspect the magazine body at the front you might see some scuff marks/footprint of the original machined block.

I have no explanation for the "ST" marking and would also like to know what it is. If I had to take a calculated guess I would say that it would most likely have been a Rhodesian Army stock number as these magazines were made in the UK circa. 1960's.

I hope this clarifies your question.

Regards.

User

Thank you.

I will check the magazine catch when I'm back in South Africa. I have a 30 round magazine which was converted from inch type to metric - I can clearly see where the inch magazine front catch was cut out a a metric front catch welded in.

The famous Gunplumber from the FAL Files reckons the numbers on the magazines are dates. I would agree as the middle two numbers correspond to a year 77, 78, 79 (which is consistent with the Rhodesian Bush War) and the first two or last two numbers are the month.