User

Default 150gr VS 165gr Hornady Interbond .308

My normal bushveld hunting bullet is the 165gr Interbond, but I cant seem to find any stock anywhere.
    My usual quarry is anything from blesbuck to Blue Wildbees and maybe a zebra here and there.

The 150gr point is more available, but Im unsure if it will do the job as well as the 160gr point.
    Anyone have experience with the 150gr interbonds?

User

Default Re: 150gr VS 165gr Hornady Interbond .308

I have had good success with the 150gr Interbond, on game up to Black Wildebeest and Gemsbok. on the former shots were on the shoulder bone, and the bullet came to rest in the opposite shoulder joint. mass retention was in the order of 125gr and expansion was excellent.

however, these were all at Karoo distances (between 180m and 230m) so impact speeds were a bit lower than you'd expect at bushveld distances. I launch them at ~2800fps so they hit at between 2300 and 2400fps. At bushveld distances and higher impact speeds (assuming you don't "download") you may find more meat damage, faster expansion and less deep penetration.

If I were you I'd go heavier (180gr) and slightly slower (~2400fps) for bushveld, in which case you can get away with a standard cup & core (Interlock) or something like an A-frame. I mean, you have to do load development anyway...

If you're going to shoot on the vlaktes, you won't go wrong with the 150gr Interbond.

User

I have a 20" barrel and my load chronies at 2460ft/s with the 165gr. Not sure how what speed I will get with 180gr.
    What I like about the interbond and SST bullet is that I can do one load development for hunting and paper shooting as they both have the same POI in my rifle.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CZW View Post
    I have a 20" barrel and my load chronies at 2460ft/s with the 165gr. Not sure how what speed I will get with 180gr.
    What I like about the interbond and SST bullet is that I can do one load development for hunting and paper shooting as they both have the same POI in my rifle.
    OK so you shoot them a bit slower ;-)
    I had a ~150fps difference between the 150gr and the 165 gr, so lets assume yours will be similar, which means you'll shoot the 150s at about 2600fps. that will alleviate my concerns about impact speed a bit, at 100m speed will be just over 2300fps, so they should work as advertised.

oh and yes the IB/SST switch does work, I did seperate load development for both years ago and ended up at exactly the same charge for both.