User

Default A question for the PH's and Outfitters

I enquired about a hunt in the UK, and and the conversation naturally went to calibre choice and rifles. The guide immediately said that it's too much of a hassle to bring the rifle and store it when not hunting.

How many of your clients bring their own rifles compared to clients that just use yours? Have you noticed a higher or lower rate of bad shot placement on game with a borrowed rifle?

I've decided on hunting red deer in Scotland next year, and if finances permit I want to hunt a muskox in Greenland the year after. All the outfitters and estates I looked at, have the option to rent a rifle. I am wondering if it will be worth it to go through the hassle of setting up a rifle for that hunt, of if I'm better off just shooting one of their rifles.

User

Default Re: A question for the PH's and Outfitters

I am neither a PH or Outfitter, but I know a few, some use premium bullets, some use rubbish. They both shoot straight but I'd feel better with premiums.

The biggest thing in my decision making would be how many of these am I hunting and how special do I want it to be.

Setting up a rifle at home by yourself adds something special to the preparation and excitement.

User

More and more visiting hunters are using our rifles instead of bringing their own. During the past 5 years this has changed from 50/50 to close to 80% of visitors using our rifles. We have no more missed or wounded animals now than we had back then. We do spend a couple of hours on the range before hunting to get the hunters familiarized with the rifles and shooting sticks.

Find out what rifles and ammunition the outfitter can supply and then make your decision. If you do decide to use the outfitter's rifle make sure you get to practice with it before starting to hunt. I hunted my first buffalo in Mozambique with a rifle I borrowed from the outfitter and experienced no problems.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    More and more visiting hunters are using our rifles instead of bringing their own. During the past 5 years this has changed from 50/50 to close to 80% of visitors using our rifles. We have no more missed or wounded animals now than we had back then. We do spend a couple of hours on the range before hunting to get the hunters familiarized with the rifles and shooting sticks.
    Would you ascribe this to client preference or to avoidance of ballache with our authorities?

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Would you ascribe this to client preference or to avoidance of ballache with our authorities?
    There are different factors at play.
    1. Cost. At every airport you book the rifle onto a flight you pay a fee. This includes US airports.
    2. South African officials. While, with very few exceptions, things at OR Tambo goes smoothly, at Bloemfontein and Kimberley airports there are no police members who can handle firearms. You need to book an appointment with a private person (appointed by the SAPS) to come to the airport and book the firearm onto the plane or take it off an arriving plane. I've had a few nerve wracking experiences where hunters barely made it onto flights due to these officials arriving late.
    3. Not all internal flights carry firearms. This really complicates travelling with a firearm.
    4. Many visiting hunters want to tour SA before or after the hunt. Finding safe storage for firearms pose a problem.

Some enthusiasts feel that going through all this is worth using their own rifles but most hunters choose the easier option.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    4. Many visiting hunters want to tour SA before or after the hunt. Finding safe storage for firearms pose a problem.
    This was the issue brought up by the UK outfitter. The safe storage of the the Firearm when not hunting is the big thorn in the side.