Default Firearms in a deceased estate

Hi all.

The dad of my friend passed away recently. He has 5 weapons in his estate. Some very rare ones amongst them. The family has no interest in taking them and offered them to us to buy, alternatively it will be handed over to SAPS (Which I want to avoid at all cost)!

The issue I have is that the executor seems unable to locate the original licenses. The copies of the licences I have seen dates to 1973. Not sure if he had applied for more recent licences.

I assume this is quite a stumbling block!
    Can the executor obtain missing licences, is it even necessary?

Thanks in advance!

User

Default Re: Firearms in a deceased estate

You can phone the DFO and he can check and give a print out stating that they are licensed. That can be used to apply for the licensed with the rest of the paperwork. A friend applied for his grandfathers pistol like that.

User

Have the executor contact the DFO and explain what has happened. They can then ask for a system printout. The DFO will issue the printout for the licences which can be attached to the application with the normal docs needed for an estate.

Thanks for the input so far. Will pass the information on!

User

Just move them to a place where they wont be hit with storage costs, the vulture gun shops lap this up and rape estates.

User

Or get storing permits ...I you have license for other fire arms... rifle ..
    And store them yourself .. zpeak to dfo as executor might not have a safe .. you would just need to renew the permit every 3 or 6 months

Default Firearms in a deceased estate

I had a similar application a few years ago. The last available license was issued in the 80s (printed A4 page) and I only had a copy of that, the deceased and executor’s IDs and the executor signed the application form in the relevant place.

The license took 18months to issue but back then (2009) they took quite long anyhow. Speak to your DFO and see what they need. Storage permit would be great too.

All the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk