User

Default Expungement of a Criminal record

Good day all,

A very good friend of mine applied for and was successful in getting two previous convictions expunged by the Minister of Justice.

The convictions were drug-related and related to shenanigans of his student days.

The question is in applying for his competency does he disclose his previous convictions and include an explanation that they have been expunged or simply indicate that he has no previous convictions.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-A725F using Tapatalk

Banned

Default Re: Expungement of a Criminal record

Following this as I have (had) similar cases in the congregations. In two cases, CFR allowed hunting rifles but no handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by batman69 View Post
    Good day all,

A very good friend of mine applied for and was successful in getting two previous convictions expunged by the Minister of Justice.

The convictions were drug-related and related to shenanigans of his student days.

The question is in applying for his competency does he disclose his previous convictions and include an explanation that they have been expunged or simply indicate that he has no previous convictions.

Thanks

From what I understand, once your record has been cleared you don't need to include them on the forms because they no longer exist. Don't take my word for it though, double check with your DFO.

I say this because I was/am in the exact same situation. I was 16 and got caught with 1 stop of dagga. I am able to have my record cleaned but it just was too much effort so I left it at the time. I only had one offence though, not several and haven't had an issue when applying. Just was honest about what I had done and how I regretted it and was young.

User

I have seen cases where expungement was done, but when a fingerprint check was done the records were not removed at CRC.

If your friend does the expungement, he should apply for a police clearance to check if the fingerprint records were also removed.

If the fingerprints are removed with the expungement, then i dont think he needs to declare anything with the application as the entire record will have been removed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BradTH View Post
    I have seen cases where expungement was done, but when a fingerprint check was done the records were not removed at CRC.

If your friend does the expungement, he should apply for a police clearance to check if the fingerprint records were also removed.

If the fingerprints are removed with the expungement, then i dont think he needs to declare anything with the application as the entire record will have been removed.
    Sounds good this, thanks.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BradTH View Post

If this stuff was all to work in a coordinated fashion across the state agencies and their rickety systems I would be stunned to silence. There's a reason why IT staff with a background in the public sector aren't the typical targets of head hunting for placement in the private sector.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    If this stuff was all to work in a coordinated fashion across the state agencies and their rickety systems I would be stunned to silence. There's a reason why IT staff with a background in the public sector aren't the typical targets of head hunting for placement in the private sector.
    The right hand shouldn't know what the left hand is doing ........ they might just become efficient if that happens.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    From what I understand, once your record has been cleared you don't need to include them on the forms because they no longer exist. Don't take my word for it though, double check with your DFO.

I say this because I was/am in the exact same situation. I was 16 and got caught with 1 stop of dagga. I am able to have my record cleaned but it just was too much effort so I left it at the time. I only had one offence though, not several and haven't had an issue when applying. Just was honest about what I had done and how I regretted it and was young.
    Yes was going to say if the substance is pot then just rock on. The attitude to pot is more lenient by the day. It is a cure all medication now. Hell it could even fix the CFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    Yes was going to say if the substance is pot then just rock on. The attitude to pot is more lenient by the day. It is a cure all medication now. Hell it could even fix the CFR.
    Agreed. But if you done some bad crap back in the day and it could affect your chances of getting a licence, it's definitely worth getting your record cleared.