Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Best chemical anchor

All good on your list.

However. Critical is after drilling the hole. Make sure you clean it properly from debris. Use Vacuum even to suck out all dust.

This is more critical then the choice between those.

Any of them will still give a far superior fit if you mounting a safe over rawl bolts

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    All good on your list.

However. Critical is after drilling the hole. Make sure you clean it properly from debris. Use Vacuum even to suck out all dust.

Any of them will still give a far superior fit if you mounting a safe over rawl bolts
    Very very true

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    All good on your list.

If you don't have a vacuum cleaner available then you can use a straw to blow the dust out but beware about the blow back. If I have to mention, it is best not to suck with the straw. LoL

User

I do a lot of bolting for rock climbing, setting up fixed anchors for sport climbing. There are different chemistries: polyester, acrylic and epoxy. Most are polyester, such as a the Soudal, cheaper Fischer, IKA, Wurth etc. It is very difficult to find a true epoxy anchor these days, and most people call the polyester anchors epoxy, but they are in fact just a two component polyester. The epoxy uses a different nozzle system and is 2-3 x the price of poyester, and not that much stronger. perhaps better wearing to the elements. Without going into too much detail, the cheaper (R200-260/tube with mixing nozzle) polyester anchors on a 10mm stud will give you 1400kg. This is stronger than the brick wall you are going to put it in, so I wouldn't even bother going for the more expensive systems.

The best advice I can give is to use whatever glue you have properly!!!!!
    1. Make sure the hole is clean and free of dust. Keep brushing and blowing, until no more dust comes out. I use an old hand pump and a .44 cal brush to clean the holes. I blow and brush at least 5x before I even think of placing an anchor. Dust is your worst enemy.
    2. make sure the glue is mixed properly. Pump out the first 10cm of glue from the mixing nozzle and discard. It is usually lighter in colour and does not set! The grey glue that comes out later is mixed and sets properly. If you use capsules, make sure you spin the bolt properly in the hole to crush the capsule and mix the glue.
    3. the glue is temperature sensitive and sets quickly. So drill your holes, check that they are in the right place, clean them thoroughly X10 and then glue and place the studs as fast as you can.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    I do a lot of bolting for rock climbing, setting up fixed anchors for sport climbing. There are different chemistries: polyester, acrylic and epoxy. Most are polyester, such as a the Soudal, cheaper Fischer, IKA, Wurth etc. It is very difficult to find a true epoxy anchor these days, and most people call the polyester anchors epoxy, but they are in fact just a two component polyester. The epoxy uses a different nozzle system and is 2-3 x the price of poyester, and not that much stronger. perhaps better wearing to the elements. Without going into too much detail, the cheaper (R200-260/tube with mixing nozzle) polyester anchors on a 10mm stud will give you 1400kg. This is stronger than the brick wall you are going to put it in, so I wouldn't even bother going for the more expensive systems.

The best advice I can give is to use whatever glue you have properly!!!!!
    1. Make sure the hole is clean and free of dust. Keep brushing and blowing, until no more dust comes out. I use an old hand pump and a .44 cal brush to clean the holes. I blow and brush at least 5x before I even think of placing an anchor. Dust is your worst enemy.
    2. make sure the glue is mixed properly. Pump out the first 10cm of glue from the mixing nozzle and discard. It is usually lighter in colour and does not set! The grey glue that comes out later is mixed and sets properly. If you use capsules, make sure you spin the bolt properly in the hole to crush the capsule and mix the glue.
    3. the glue is temperature sensitive and sets quickly. So drill your holes, check that they are in the right place, clean them thoroughly X10 and then glue and place the studs as fast as you can.
    Some top advice right there ^^^
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2