Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Plate Carriers: Eddie V vs D Tactical/Urban Patriot

I've done a bit of research on plate carriers (PC) and narrowed it down to 2 options: Eddie V's gen 3 plate carrier for R1200 or the D Tactical Oryx QRB plate carrier which goes for R2000-R2600.
    Alternatively if I'm missing the best made plate carrier out there, please let me know!

It seems the Urban Patriot is the exact same PC as the D Tactical Oryx, however Dave Sheer and their subsidiaries seem to have exclusivity in selling the Urban Patriot PC while selling the Oryx alongside it.

Does anyone who uses any of the above have feedback (pros and cons) or even if you don't own one and can see a glaring potential issue please highlight it for me! This will be worn semi regularly while on duty as a Police Reservist! The goal is to carry a portion of my equipment and mags on my vest.

Links and pics of the products

D Tactical Oryx
    https://d-tactical.co.za/product/ory...carrier-black/

Eddie V's gen 3 PC
    https://www.facebook.com/17209335114...6808114533213/

Sent from my SM-A336E using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Plate Carriers: Eddie V vs D Tactical/Urban Patriot

Why not try them on? It’s an uncomfortable piece of kit to start with, once laden even more so. When I bought mine I settled for what was available in a pinch. It will be worth handling and fitting them considering how much you plan on using it.

Whichever way you go, get composite plates if you can! Made a huge difference to my ability run and move.

User

As a Reservist, you will be issued a BP with Plates.
    No need to buy. If you want something customised for your needs, get a BP cover made.
    And don't fill the vest up with too much shit. It weighs you down.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Why not try them on? It’s an uncomfortable piece of kit to start with, once laden even more so. When I bought mine I settled for what was available in a pinch. It will be worth handling and fitting them considering how much you plan on using it.

Whichever way you go, get composite plates if you can! Made a huge difference to my ability run and move.
    I will visit Cape Swat (Dave Sheer subsidiary) and try on the Oryx PC, unfortunately Eddie V's PC's are made to order and he is based in JHB anyway! 100% I am going to get myself lightweight composite standalone plates!

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    As a Reservist, you will be issued a BP with Plates.
    No need to buy. If you want something customised for your needs, get a BP cover made.
    And don't fill the vest up with too much shit. It weighs you down.
    Hahaha have you felt the weight of the standard issue kevlar and ceramic plates! I plan to purchase myself lightweight standalone plates which will be a major upgrade over the standard issue especially considering I will be wearing it for extended periods! Also that is assuming I'm not issued hand me downs plus there is no molle on the PC issued hence all your equipment has to be carried on your belt, which is what I'm wanting to alleviate! Thanks I have noted feedback from others not to go crazy and deck out the vest with the kitchen sink!

User

I just weighed my plate carrier and it is standing at 10kg. Only 3 loaded rifle and 3 pistol mags on it. Haha

User

[QUOTE=
    Hahaha have you felt the weight of the standard issue kevlar and ceramic plates! I plan to purchase myself lightweight standalone plates which will be a major upgrade over the standard issue especially considering I will be wearing it for extended periods! Also that is assuming I'm not issued hand me downs plus there is no molle on the PC issued hence all your equipment has to be carried on your belt, which is what I'm wanting to alleviate! Thanks I have noted feedback from others not to go crazy and deck out the vest with the kitchen sink![/QUOTE]

Wore one for 12 years. Didn't have any problems
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Have a look at the Agilite carriers.

You can get the carriers from from Bushveld militia.

I got the Agilite K19 and put Zebra level 3+ ceramic plates it (1.5kg per plate)

It's an extremely comfortable and very light package.

The K19 is expensive but it's hard to beat.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn881 View Post
    I will visit Cape Swat (Dave Sheer subsidiary) and try on the Oryx PC, unfortunately Eddie V's PC's are made to order and he is based in JHB anyway! 100% I am going to get myself lightweight composite standalone plates!

Hahaha have you felt the weight of the standard issue kevlar and ceramic plates! I plan to purchase myself lightweight standalone plates which will be a major upgrade over the standard issue especially considering I will be wearing it for extended periods! Also that is assuming I'm not issued hand me downs plus there is no molle on the PC issued hence all your equipment has to be carried on your belt, which is what I'm wanting to alleviate! Thanks I have noted feedback from others not to go crazy and deck out the vest with the kitchen sink!
    Please let me know what reasonably priced lightweight plates you find

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Please let me know what reasonably priced lightweight plates you find
    Reasonably priced and lightweight don’t fit in the same sentence for plates.

You can have 2 of the following not all 3:

Lightweight
    Cheap
    Good protection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lokx View Post
    Reasonably priced and lightweight don’t fit in the same sentence for plates.

You can have 2 of the following not all 3:

Lightweight
    Cheap
    Good protection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know, but I've been seeing prices around the 4k mark.
    Maybe there's something else out there.
    I'm in a similar situation, got an Eddie V plate carrier with steel plates and soft armour, but would prefer something lighter so I can be a bit faster and more comfortable

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast