Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Removing carbon from barrel

Why not Brasso? Curious.

User

Brasso contains an abrasive and ammonia.

User

Quote Originally Posted by da_panman View Post
    Why not Brasso? Curious.
    It contains a hard abrasive and will remove barrel steel.

User

On top of all the other good advice - DON'T shoot it until you are happy it's clean.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    It's a 1950s 222 Remington that looks like it has never been cleaned. Just acquired the firearm. It will get another good scrub then test the grouping.
    Dude, pleeeze just make sure you are fully correct about what you think you know about this barrel.
    Are you sure it is carbon in the barrel? I mean really sure!

Cleaning some carbon out may be difficult, but ruining a barrel everywhere else is easy. I have a piece of barrel I eventually cut off a rifle after months of cleaning it, only to find its was bare metal I was scrubbing at when I had the barrel split. ( I can send you whats up photo's" - Hrs, days of cleaning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clean it use it clean it, sometimes the forces at work when firing aid the removal when shot, cleaned, shot.

Please heed what I say about ruining that old barrels metal trying to remove carbon that may not even actually need removing.

User

Barrel makers just love borescopes. Nothing better to convince people the barrel need to be replaced for no reason.

As to "hard carbon", I think people see hard carbon when they look at heat affected steel. The only way to get nice shiny steel again is to remove the blackened layer of steel.

As a general rule, if a phosphor-bronze brush does not remove the black, it isn't carbon.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    Barrel makers just love borescopes. Nothing better to convince people the barrel need to be replaced for no reason.

As to "hard carbon", I think people see hard carbon when they look at heat affected steel. The only way to get nice shiny steel again is to remove the blackened layer of steel.

As a general rule, if a phosphor-bronze brush does not remove the black, it isn't carbon.
    There ye go, a man to my line of thinking!

And barrel imperfections, pitting, heat cracks all look like carbon - I will not bet on my own diagnoses?.

Shoot the thing and see, you have possibly cleaned into the next caliber for little gain.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3