Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Removing carbon from barrel

Quote Originally Posted by johanvb View Post
    Which Mr Muscle?
    The Brass Polish.

It says "Brass Polish" on the container, but the website calls it "Brass Cleaner".

User

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    What are you currently using to clean the barrel?
    Soaked in M98 bore cleaner, Hope's No 9 and also some barrel magic Copper cleaner. Bronze brushes and patches.

User

Ever since they took the carcinogens out of Hoppe's it no longer works as well.

Is it possible that there are micro cracks in the bore and that is what is weeping out. I have never in my life had to scrub a bore to get carbon out.

User

Not knowing what your cleaning procedure is makes it difficult to understand why it is not working.

User

I've had good results with carbon solvents plus good scrubbing with iosso using stiff copper brush.

User

It's a 1950s 222 Remington that looks like it has never been cleaned. Just acquired the firearm. It will get another good scrub then test the grouping.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroelas;[URL="tel:1459986"
    1459986[/URL]]Have a look at the CMH cleaning kits. Works very well.

https://www.jaracal.com/viewtopic.ph...18&hilit=Clean
    I switched over to this kit last year and it is incredible. Nothing I’ve used before comes close.

User

The bore probably has oxidize copper, small bore calibers are real bad about coppering up, in it since regular bore cleaner isn't working. Try a copper solvent like Sweets 7.62 or something. There are several makers of that type of copper remover. Coat the bore wait 15 mins and dry patch it. I bet those patches come out green. I bought a German 98k from 1938, a war bring back, and I had to use Sweets 7.62 then regular solvent 4 times cycle.

Clean it outside or in the garage, copper solvent has ammonia gel in it. It will make your eyes and nose water.

A lot of people use bore paste or polishing compound but all you are doing is removing metal from your bore along with the carbon / copper. Barrels are expensive I don't want to remove metal from them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by krieger View Post
    The bore probably has oxidize copper, small bore calibers are real bad about coppering up, in it since regular bore cleaner isn't working...
    Very likely. But we are just guessing. If you could just look inside...

Quote Originally Posted by krieger View Post
    A lot of people use bore paste or polishing compound but all you are doing is removing metal from your bore along with the carbon / copper. Barrels are expensive I don't want to remove metal from them.
    If you use the right "soft" abrasives, you will not remove the barrel steel, just the much softer fouling. Choosing the correct polish/compound is crucial. Knowing when to stop polishing too. (Hint: Get a proper look inside.)

The advantage of using a polishing compound is that you don't clean the fouling out of all the micro cracks and pores in the barrel steel. This keeps them filled and the bore much smoother. That's the theory anyway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast