Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zebra recipe

Banned

Default Re: Zebra recipe

Is it that bad?

User

I've eaten zebra before a few times and found it delicious. Was marinated for a good while in a concoction that I think may have included diet coke and then skimmed over the braai. I imagine that if you like your meat well done it would be dry as hell due to it's leanness.

User

Used Zebra steaks for Steak and (Lambs) kidney pies, turned out great.

Banned

I have heard or read that it makes great eating, several times.

One guy cuts and grills it just like regular T-bone. Others marinade it like venison.

Would like to try it sometime.

User

I think South Africans have a mental block against (knowingly) eating anything that looks like a horse. Doesn't bother me personally l, I've eaten horse steaks in Germany knowing full well what it was and the meat was excellent. I'd have no qualms eating zebra meat, just never had the opportunity.

Objectively seen, it doens really make sense that people are willing to eat the meat of omnivores (wild and domestic pigs, with all the known pathogens and coocking precautions) but not not herbivores like horses and zebras...

User

I take every opportunity available to eat stuff I haven't tried before and in a previous life extensive business travel gave me lots. Horse and camel were pleasant surprises that stand out.

Banned

The horse meat I have eaten tasted like rabbit; sweet, dark meat with a herby taste. Not bad at all. I have eaten beef that was worse.

As Pirate says, if one is willing to eat pig in any form or species then horse should net be a problem.

User

I have a friend who culls zebra for a living. The meat is sold to a large wholesaler. He claims that a large % of this meat is used in the production of brand name hamburgers.

User

If you grew up in SA you've probably eaten it. I think back in the day it was quite common to slip in at the butchery.
    The thing that pees me off is that I was never told 'this is horse' so I don't know whether I like it.

I only got round to eating labeled goat a few months ago! Probably had that dozens of times?!?

User

Default Zebra recipe

I think we sometimes forget that we are technically eating whatever the animal was eating before we cut it up for meat.

I have only recently been able to spot the difference grass to grain and karoo bush and lucern. Took a while.

Most animals taste much better if their diet is good. I suspect Zebra like grass and for my palate I prefer grass fed animals.

Would also like to try Zebra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Grobbie; 18-05-2022 at 12:33.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast