Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Ruger No 1A troubleshooting

I got myself a set of Burris weaver mounts for the No 1. I'll throw one of my old scopes on there for now. I'm waiting for dies and reloading components to arrive. Will go shoot it once it's registered on my EU Firearm Passport.

User

I went a completely different route. I ordered a Hawke Endurance 2,5-10X50 WA and Ruger rings.

I really wanted a Leopold on it, and then looked at a Kahles, but I just can't justify putting a >€1700 scope on a <€500 rifle.

Hoping to shoot it on Saturday if the rings arrive in time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    I went a completely different route. I ordered a Hawke Endurance 2,5-10X50 WA and Ruger rings.

I really wanted a Leopold on it, and then looked at a Kahles, but I just can't justify putting a >€1700 scope on a <€500 rifle.

Hoping to shoot it on Saturday if the rings arrive in time.
    If you were in SA, I could have offered you my leupold vx3 2.5x8x36

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    If you were in SA, I could have offered you my leupold vx3 2.5x8x36
    And I would gladly have taken it of your hands :)

0.7 MOA 2 shot group at 100m. 130gr Fox Classic Hunter behind 53.5gr of N140. I left my chrono's battery in the last time I used it. Will measure velocity next week. I've also ordered RS60 for 150gr fox bullets to test as well.

I can't see any reason why I want to shoot a 3 or 5 shot group with this rifle. I reckon two shots is already optimistic for most hunting situations.

I am a happy camper. If the current 130gr load gets close to 3000fps, then I'll stick with that load.

User

Settled on a load for the No 1.

150gr Fox Classic Hunter @ 2896fps 0.85 MOA two shot group. From shot 3 onwards, the groups start getting much bigger. I'm consistently getting 21,X
    two shot groups. I'm happy with that.

The No 1 is everything I hoped it would be. It's growing on me. I'm actually contemplating about putting my good scope on the Ruger, and taking that to hunt red deer instead.

Banned

I drive the 150TSX bullets at 2860fps out of the 22 inch barrel. Your higher speed is possibly due to the different propellant used. I have now fitted a 4-16 x 44 Hawke to mine. Combination works well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    I drive the 150TSX bullets at 2860fps out of the 22 inch barrel. Your higher speed is possibly due to the different propellant used. I have now fitted a 4-16 x 44 Hawke to mine. Combination works well.
    Thank you for the info!

I loaded it with 56gr of Swiss Reload RS60.

I would love to load Barnes, but consistent supply is becoming an issue for everything coming from the States. Not keen to do load development and then not being able to get components down the line.

https://www.foxbullets.eu/ . These have great reviews here and in the UK. Plus supply is consistent and they are well priced.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3