Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Ruger No 1A troubleshooting

I bought one today. The price was too good to pass on, and I have always wanted one. If the seller sends it with the post I can shoot it on Saturday already. :)

I know that some No 1's have issues when it comes to grouping, especially with vertical dispersion. I'm hoping that the one I bought has no issues. I'm realistic about my expectations, and I'll be happy for a two shot group as close to MOA as I can get it.

Has any one here have experience with a No 1?

User

Default Re: Ruger No 1A troubleshooting

I have no personal experience of fiddling with one. The few that I got to fondle all shot well enough.

From what I read, about half of the No.1's were not one-hole groupers. Apparently this has to do with the barrel supplier/s and is not something you can tune out.

Best is to sort out any bedding issues, see what yours can do and decide if you are willing to live with that or not.

Weidmansheil!

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I have no personal experience of fiddling with one. The few that I got to fondle all shot well enough.

From what I read, about half of the No.1's were not one-hole groupers. Apparently this has to do with the barrel supplier/s and is not something you can tune out.

Best is to sort out any bedding issues, see what yours can do and decide if you are willing to live with that or not.

Weidmansheil!
    Waidmamsdank :)

https://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=17932095

I'm not expecting to take it on hunts that may require follow up shots. So no need for 5 shot MOA groups. Minute of boar or roe will be sufficient.

Will see what it does. The seller sent me photos of his last groups. The rifle likes light for calibre monos. It bodes well.

User

Is the calibre a secret? 😂 I passed up on a 30-06 many years ago and has still not forgiven myself. Enjoy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FFourie View Post
    Is the calibre a secret? 😂 I passed up on a 30-06 many years ago and has still not forgiven myself. Enjoy.
    I hoped no one would notice.:D I've been holding out for a metric calibre one, but they are hens teeth and command a premium.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Has any one here have experience with a No 1?
    Congratulations! My only experience of them has been a burning desire to have one for as long as I can remember. Another of Bill Ruger's gifts to the world.

I’ve hunted with a borrowed No1, in 243 W. Certainly accurate enough, probably in 1 MOA range. Solid to shoot with good trigger. And quick to point and shoot.

Left a feeling of being solidly built. I know some people can tune the bedding and stock bolt tension, but they are not really meant to be tackdrivers. Hunting rifles, for bush and forest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned

My 30-06 has only had the trigger tuned by a local gunsmith. Now breaks at around 1kg of pull. Shoots very accurately and my favorite bushveldt hunting rifle. Have made several 160-200 metre shots with only one Impala lost due to a loose telescope mount. Impala, warthog, BWB and Eland have been taken with one shot. I use 150TSX/TTSX and penetration is 1 metre plus.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    My 30-06 has only had the trigger tuned by a local gunsmith. Now breaks at around 1kg of pull. Shoots very accurately and my favorite bushveldt hunting rifle. Have made several 160-200 metre shots with only one Impala lost due to a loose telescope mount. Impala, warthog, BWB and Eland have been taken with one shot. I use 150TSX/TTSX and penetration is 1 metre plus.
    Which scope mounts do you have on? The rifle comes with 1" rings, but I want to mount a Leupold . I can't find low mount blued 30mm rings. The only rings available are stainless steel and and high mount rings.

Banned

I have so far only fitted 1 inch scopes. The mounts are the Ruger ones that came with the rifle. The screw on the front mount was the one that came loose and caused a wounding and a few misses before I found the problem. The screws have now been tightened by way of a torque screw driver.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast