Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Ruger No 1A troubleshooting

The Ruger No 1 is a fine nice handling rifle and the chances are good that it will shoot just fine. It has a strong ,solid action with a good lock up.
    As with any product,you hear about the problems associated with the item. Sometimes real,sometimes imaginary.
    A few No 1's had complaints about erratic accuracy issues. On mine,the issue stemmed from the design system of the fore end front hanger...mine i sorted by free floating the contact point between the front of the fore end contact point with the barrel as i started to get vertical stringing as the barrel warmed up. This was not an issue under hunting conditions.
    IF and i say if you do have issues then Google Ruger No 1 accurizer which will explain a product made for the No 1 which allows you to fine tune fore end upward pressure on the barrel. [too much for me to go into here]

Another little thing to take note of is scope choice. Avoid a moon gazer as you will battle to load the Ruger fast in under the rear end of the scope. I carry 3 spare cartridges in a wrist band on the underside of my left wrist and can reload pretty quickly,without taking the rifles butt from my shoulder.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    I have so far only fitted 1 inch scopes. The mounts are the Ruger ones that came with the rifle. The screw on the front mount was the one that came loose and caused a wounding and a few misses before I found the problem. The screws have now been tightened by way of a torque screw driver.
    Much appriciated!

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    The Ruger No 1 is a fine nice handling rifle and the chances are good that it will shoot just fine. It has a strong ,solid action with a good lock up.
    As with any product,you hear about the problems associated with the item. Sometimes real,sometimes imaginary.
    A few No 1's had complaints about erratic accuracy issues. On mine,the issue stemmed from the design system of the fore end front hanger...mine i sorted by free floating the contact point between the front of the fore end contact point with the barrel as i started to get vertical stringing as the barrel warmed up. This was not an issue under hunting conditions.
    IF and i say if you do have issues then Google Ruger No 1 accurizer which will explain a product made for the No 1 which allows you to fine tune fore end upward pressure on the barrel. [too much for me to go into here]

Another little thing to take note of is scope choice. Avoid a moon gazer as you will battle to load the Ruger fast in under the rear end of the scope. I carry 3 spare cartridges in a wrist band on the underside of my left wrist and can reload pretty quickly,without taking the rifles butt from my shoulder.
    Thanks!

I am struggling with scope choice at the moment. I want something that will complement the rifle. i have always thought that a Leupold and No 1 go together. I'm looking there first.

My main challenge is that we do a lot of low light hunting here. Once it gets dark I can add a NV/Thermal scope for pigs.

What is your scope choice?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Thanks!

I am struggling with scope choice at the moment. I want something that will complement the rifle. i have always thought that a Leupold and No 1 go together. I'm looking there first.

My main challenge is that we do a lot of low light hunting here. Once it gets dark I can add a NV/Thermal scope for pigs.

What is your scope choice?
    Why not go for a Leopold 1x scope or a 3x8x40?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    ... Once it gets dark I can add a NV/Thermal scope for pigs...
    This changes the whole equation.

There are basically 2 options:

1. You mount a daytime scope, which you have to remove and replace with a nighttime instrument for the pigs. They may or may not return to zero when mounted. Finding a Ruger compatible mounting mounting base for the NV/Thermal may be a challenge.

2. You choose a scope that accepts a NV/Thermal attachment that can be attached and removed as you please. You get types that attach to either the ocular or the objective lens. Not sure how these affect zero.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Why not go for a Leopold 1x scope or a 3x8x40?
    I was just looking at the VX-6 2-12x42, Fire Dot 4, CDS. Ticks all the boxes. Seems to have decent low light capability.

User

I'm using a PARD NV on the ocular. It does not affect zero. The ones that attach to the objective need to be zero'ed.

I'm sticking with one scope. I'm still having trouble to accept that the Blaser scope mount maintains zero. Don't want to mess around with different scopes on the same rifle if I can help it.

The thermal attachments are still too expensive for the amount of hunting I do.

User

I have a Lynx 6x38 fixed scope on the Ruger.
    Reason is i wanted a scope with a small objective lens [to clear barrel with low mounts] as well as a small ocular lens [for ease of loading]
    I would suggest that you first get the rifle before you purchase a scope. Check the height needed to clear barrel and still have a decent 'cheek weld' while shooting and that you can get your finger in under the ocular lens without battling especially if you are going to use a NV system that has a rubber ring sliding over and enlarging the ocular.

Banned

Suggestion: what about a telescope with long eye relief?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Suggestion: what about a telescope with long eye relief?
    Also an option I'm looking at. I'm also considering a Kahles Helia 1.6-8x42i with the Swarovski rail. The rail allows it to be moved back quite a bit. My gunsmith has one for me to test. If it works, I'll go with that's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast