Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: What wood you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Kameeldoring has a distinctive "nou braai ons rustig" smell to it, but I have a worry that it's not really sustainable.

Wingerdstompies for "groot vure". Mieliestronke in the Vrystaat!

For everyday use rooikrans is hard to beat. I recently bought myrtle, which I'm yet to try.

An an aside, for kaggelhout I strongly prefer bluegum, it's a declared weed and it makes very little ash.
    Ya you won’t go wrong with the Australian myrtle, a very decent braai wood.

My go to is Rooikrans, however it is of a higher quality if it comes from the drier weskus. The dark part in the centre is much more dominant meaning it is harder, I suspect the wood harvested in the cape peninsula suffers from the higher rainfall.

Port Jackson willow is very soft so a mediocre braai wood. But the smoke imparts good flavour to the meat.

User

I'd also go for sekelbos, except for the fact of flood warnings in KZN at present preclude braaing right now.

User

Like all people I have my ideas.

Right now I have a fire going with kameeldoring and mopanie, the one is better than the other FYI.

I will give a detailed explanation of my lifelong experience in the veld but for now I would just let the members give their choices.

Banned

Wattle or thorn wood in the EC...thorn wood makes better coals.

User

I am lucky enough to be able to get decent amounts of wingerd, apricot and peach wood. Doesn’t make for the best coals in the world but it works if you know when to start braaing on them. Kameelhout is super though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

I braai at least once a week.
    Use Rooikrans , pruim , Citrus wood [lemon or orange] and some unidentifiable types. All make coals,all cook my meat.
    Maybe my lack of culinary appreciation is lacking but i cannot tell which is better. All i know is the thorn species generally make longer lasting coals but as for flavouring the meat....nah.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

So my braai area has 2 parts. A pizza oven and next to it an open braai. I use different wood when using one or the other. But I predominantly use bushveld wood, it must be dry, so here is what I like:

For the braai I like a hard wood that burns slowly and long and make long lasting hot coals. For this I enjoy using Knoppiesdoring. If I can get Hardekool I take that

For the pizza oven I want a balance between coals and flame. Sekelbos and Mopani do well, the wood burns easy and the coals are good. I also burn pecan nut wood in the oven to add some sweet smokey flavor to the food, 1 or 2 logs added towards the end of the cooking.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I prefer what we know in the area as "Rooibos". In English think would be "Red bushwillow'? Combretum apiculatum.

If I don't have at the time Sekelbos will do.

I want coals that last long enough to get my meat "well done". Not dried out. Well done.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    I prefer what we know in the area as "Rooibos". In English think would be "Red bushwillow'? Combretum apiculatum.

If I don't have at the time Sekelbos will do.

I want coals that last long enough to get my meat "well done". Not dried out. Well done.
    I enjoy different meat, cooked to different levels.
    Steak medium rare, so Sekelbos, with it's intense coals works well, with good management boerewors also works.
    Lambtjops medium well, so the less intense heat of Hardekool coals, that burns for a long time, works well.
    When I want hot smoked, I have a Bosman Braaier, that you just put next to the fire and it sucks in all the heat an smoke you desire. You match the smoke flavour to your own desire.
    For cold smoked I have a modified metal cupboard, I prefer Hardekool or Peach.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

User

For all my enemies I will donate a few pieces of Tambotie to mix with their other wood.

Not for braai purposes, but Avocado wood works well for the fire place. The big advantage is it does not spark.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast