Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default What wood you do?

With the economic doom and gloom, I just thought I would light up the mood.
    There have been similar threads somewhere but this is just for fun.
    If you want to braai tonight what wood do you prefer, and do you prefer different wood for different meat types?

User

Default Re: What wood you do?

When I was a lighty I lived in Cape Town and the ONLY wood to use was vine stumps! Nice smelling fire and good flavor to the meat - lamb chops of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    With the economic doom and gloom, I just thought I would light up the mood.
    There have been similar threads somewhere but this is just for fun.
    If you want to braai tonight what wood do you prefer, and do you prefer different wood for different meat types?
    Are there tree's in the Free State ?

Mopani in the bush, Rooikrans / Vine Stumps (if you can get) in the Cape and Sekelbos when I can get it.

I do not believe that coals ready for braaing flavor meat unless you are cooking directly on the coals like a real man. HOWEVER if you leave a twig or two smoking and burning off to the side of the fire while braaing, the smoke definitely makes an impact. Was taught this trick by a mate in the Kruger, I saw one or two twigs smoking and wanted to remove them from his fire, BUT not my fire, not my braai so I shut the f%^k up. When we were eating I remarked how delicious the chops were and that they had a slightly smoky taste which was excellent. He laughed and replied that he saw that the twigs were irritating me intensely and that he admired my self control, but that the smokiness was directly due to these one or two twigs. A nice subtle flavor.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Apricot is one of the best smelling woods. Oak is nie has either. They burn away rather fast.

Hard woods are my go to.

Lots of Macadamia wood around, use it mostly. Otherwise sekelbos. Am also a firm believer to always have a piece still smoking for extra flavour. Now i am freaking hungry!

User

Kameeldoring has a distinctive "nou braai ons rustig" smell to it, but I have a worry that it's not really sustainable.

Wingerdstompies for "groot vure". Mieliestronke in the Vrystaat!

For everyday use rooikrans is hard to beat. I recently bought myrtle, which I'm yet to try.

An an aside, for kaggelhout I strongly prefer bluegum, it's a declared weed and it makes very little ash.

User

I just came here for the excellent Pun!

Banned

Kameeldoring. Sekelbos.

@ Pirate: there will be more than enough kameeldoring for many decades to come.

Smoke the meat whilst braaing with a small piece of rooiboswilg. Simply delicious.

For wintertime firegazing, sandvaalbos (known as Kalahari-geelhout) is excellent - it gives off much heat but burns away fast.

User

I had two big lemon trees that gave up the ghost. Cut them up and used the wood for a braai out of curiosity. Does not make great or very long lasting coals so not of much use for a long "kuier". Very nice aroma and gives a great taste to pork.

Olienhout makes great coals but needs to be VERY dry.

User

Here in the Bushveld the Sekelbos (Chinese lantern) is my top choice. It does not only work very well, but is actually somewhat of a pest and needs to be controlled. So this is my contribution to a better environment.

If I were ever banished to the Free State, I would likely have to be content with plain old Mieliestronke.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast