Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default 6mm ARC - AR15 Build

So I have finally almost finished my 6mm ARC AR15 build.

What started as an interesting read about some new fangled cartridge requested by some shadowy US Mil organization for a harder hitting DMR cartridge that worked in existing AR15's.

I then read that it has the ability to shoot out to 1000yds if the marketing material was to be believed.

I was interested as I ad been thinking of an AR10, but really like how light and nimble the AR15 platform is, plus after reading about similar wildcat cartridges I was convinced it was a viable option to try out some longer distance shooting in a gas gun.

Build Specs as follows (from tip to butt as Garand Thumb says)

JP Enterprises Recoil Eliminator (although i'm really considering suppressing with a tunable suppressor)
    Faxxon 20" Rifle Gas Barrel (lapped, shimmed installation to increase accuracy potential)
    JP Enterprises Adjustable Clamp Gas Block
    CMMG Rifle Gas Tube
    OhHunt 17" M-Lok Rail (was the only 17" rail that didn't break the bank)
    Magpul Pic Bipod
    Aero Precision Upper Reciever (gauged and measured to ensure correct tolerances, barrel mating surface lapped to ensure uniformity)
    Strike Industries Alu Dust Cover
    Aero Forward Assist
    Brownells 6.5 Grendel BCG

DPMS Lower Reciever (gauged and measured again)
    CMC 2.5lbs Single Stage Match Trigger
    Noveske STS 60 deg Ambi Safety with Magpul Super Scar throw levers
    Random Polymer Enhanced Trigger Guard I had lying around
    Reptilia Pistol Grip
    Geiselle Charging Handle
    Luth-AR Reciever Extension and Rifle Buffer
    JP Enterprises Rifle Length Recoil Spring
    Luth-AR MBA 1 Adjustable Butt Stock

Athlon Argos BTR 6-24 x 50 Scope
    Vortex Cantilever Mount

So far I have taken it out to 300m before I got the optic with easy hit's on 280mm Steel.
    I plan on getting it out to longer range to see just how it stacks up with the new optic

Currently my load is 108gr ELDM doing about 2750fps which is on the hot side, as this load is supposed to net about 2600fps.

User

Default Re: 6mm ARC - AR15 Build

Oh man that tickles my nether regions in a right way.. awesome dude!

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Oh man that tickles my nether regions in a right way.. awesome dude!
    I hope it performs well enough to be able to use it at a PRS type match. Would be cool to try get some gas guns attending.

User

Come try it here? It's a open day where you can shoot off the props and they give you ranges etc.

User

Any idea on the round count?

I would need to load some more ammo, and it seems like 108gr ELD-M's are in short supply.

User

It's just a practice session, so bring what you have. You just want an idea of what it's about, this is a perfect session.

User

That is awesome!!!

Can you perhaps elaborate on how you did this. What components need licensing, where did you get the components that needs licensing, how did the licensing work and who did the actual work of measuring the upper and install the barrel to ensure a good fit for accuracy.

User

Bellum Arcus facilitated the importation.

I advise you up front. It's not a quick process to get the licensable components into SA and in this case it took over a year before all paperwork was done, in the case of my 300blk it took almost 2 years from payment, to import, registration, licensing and card.

99% of the time Bellum Arcus will import assembled rifles, even in the case of custom rifles they are generally assembled in the USA. If like me you would like to build your own gun they advise you in that there is no warranty. I would also check with them what the T&C's might be currently as even if it's just a stripped upper, lower and barrel it is imported into SA as a complete firearm, and thus needs licensing before you can even attempt to assemble or build it.

I lapped the receivers, etc as I have fairly extensive experience with firearms, as well as the tools to lap, true, shim and press fit the barrel. (I would prefer a thermal fit, but I don't have ready access to a freezer big enough, or dry ice)

User

Thanks a lot for the info.

User

Are the barrels easily available locally or was it a special order for yourself?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast