• Truvelo T545

9 56.25%
  • Taurus T4

2 12.50%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Entry level AR15 Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post

To the OP, you are going to wait +- a year for your license why not rather spend a bit more and get a bit better quality gun?
    Unless you planning on trying to win a national, I don't see the point in buying anything above entry level, with the price of ammo/components now it makes even less sense.
    Besides what people think, someone that wants the gun for "fun" isn't going to see any benefit in a R40k gun over an R18k one.

+1 for the Norinco to be added.
    I have seen more reliability issues from Smiths and DM4s, than from budget guns(not that those two aren't also budget guns).

@vaal: I seen licenses moving fast. Between 2 and 4 months now aways.

Nevertheless sai2.0 and dm4 are about the same. I would say first establish your baseline budget I.e amount for the gun since you will pour a lot more money in afterwards. And then see what is available around the baseline and if need add little more or not. I belive Smith and Wesson might be coming soon, but who knows.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Or Norinco?
    When was the last time they came in?

User

I have very limited experience with the AR platform, but the reviews I've read or watched and my maybe 1000 rnds through the two Windham Weaponry AR's in our household would suggest that they would also be a contender?

User

Quote Originally Posted by MSW2 View Post
    Skip all the AR kinda rifles and get a Mini 14 :)
    Um no. Accuracy, reliabilty, spares and accessories are no where near as good as an AR. An AK would make more sense than a mini

User

Quote Originally Posted by phant1m View Post
    @vaal: I seen licenses moving fast. Between 2 and 4 months now aways.
    Eish, then I am hopefully the only unlucky sucker who is waiting 7 months for my pcc and the app claim it still has to go another 2 months and then the wait for the card begins. And my renewal is 2 months after expiry even when it was submitted 105 days before expiry.

But back to the OP. I would rather buy a bit better/more proven gun because I will shoot out a lot more R in ammo than the gun's price. And at todays ammo price it will be very easy.

I have seen quite a few very frustrated guys struggling with their problematic guns. Even I swore a lot and won a couple of gray hairs struggling to get my Stag Arms to become boringly relaible without spending extra money.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Um no. Accuracy, reliabilty, spares and accessories are no where near as good as an AR. An AK would make more sense than a mini
    Strangely my Mini is more reliable than than my AR and my AK. Spares I have got some available, but accessories "except mags" I'm not bothered with as I use it stock standard with open sights. For me with open sights I want to 100mm by 100 at 100m, 200 by 200 at 200 and 300 by 300 at 300m. When I do my part I can do it.

User

When was the last time they came in?
    According to the rumor mill .... soon nuf

Reliability wise I would take a Saiga AK any day over a commercial AR or Ruger mini, with the exception of the Smith AR.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Strangely my Mini is more reliable than than my AR and my AK. Spares I have got some available, but accessories "except mags" I'm not bothered with as I use it stock standard with open sights. For me with open sights I want to 100mm by 100 at 100m, 200 by 200 at 200 and 300 by 300 at 300m. When I do my part I can do it.
    Ditto!!
    Cheap AR's require some $ to run well, my Stag arms was crap compared to my Mini 14. My 14 takes and eats any ammo without any issues, accuracy from 100m - 200m is bang on the money. The mini 14s are around the R20k price tag new so its within the entry level AR's.
    What about a VZ58?

Back to the original topic, consider the Springfield Saint and S&W Sport 2 if you are set on the AR platform.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast