Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Default Bul 1911 9mm HP feeding issues

An acquaintance has a Bul 1911 in 9mmP. I am not sure about the precise model.

He only shoots S&B 115gr FMJ because everything else gives feeding issues, especially hollow point ammunition.

Does anyone know more? It seems unusual that a high-end pistol like a Bul should give such trouble.

User

Default Re: Bul 1911 9mm HP feeding issues

Keep in mind that the 1911 was originally designed to feed 45 ACP round nose FMJ ammo.

Yes, the modern variants are very different in many ways, but some of the basic design principles still sit there in the basic system, which was designed around 1910.

While a careful examination of the specific pistol may be needed to determine the cause and find a cure, in general there are 3 areas to look at:

1. Mag lips and the feed angle of the top round. Sometimes these can be adjusted.
    2. Feed ramp angle, texture and edge. Often, slightly rounding the edge of the ramp where it meets the chamber can do wonders. If the feed ramp is a 2-part affair as in traditional 1911's, some bullet shapes will tend to hang up on the small gap between the barrel and frame.
    3. Some modern pistols just feed and fire any ammo you can buy over the counter. The typical 1911 will not do that and needs the ammo to be carefully selected or loaded. Do the required effort if you want to keep it, or let it go to someone who does.

If you are not confident and experienced in adjusting the above, a trip to an experienced pistol smith may be the best option.

While I can see the various sporting uses of a 9mm 1911 (make mine a single stack please?), your friend's SD need will be better served by a modern plastic pistol, preferable one without many external controls and sharp edges.

Banned

Thanks a lot!

I remembered the ramp modification, but have forgotten about the magazine lips.

User

What are the COL of the rounds he tried? A 45acp 230gn round looks extremely short for a 1911.
    Does the jams happen on different magazines?
    Does his rounds make factor about 1100fps for 115gn, 1050fps for 124gn or 890fps for 147gn?
    What type of jam does he get? Fail to feed or fail to eject?
    Does he maybe limp wrist?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    What are the COL of the rounds he tried? A 45acp 230gn round looks extremely short for a 1911.
    Does the jams happen on different magazines?
    Does his rounds make factor about 1100fps for 115gn, 1050fps for 124gn or 890fps for 147gn?
    What type of jam does he get? Fail to feed or fail to eject?
    Does he maybe limp wrist?
    I will send him the questionnaire

The only thing I know for sure is that he does not even try reloaded ammunition, and he does not carry HP's as they all gave him failure to feeds.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I will send him the questionnaire

The only thing I know for sure is that he does not even try reloaded ammunition, and he does not carry HP's as they all gave him failure to feeds.
    Hi Ds. Please remember to shine a sharp light into his eyes, while he is being interrogated. LoL

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Hi Ds. Please remember to shine a sharp light into his eyes, while he is being interrogated. LoL
    Or maybe use a bag and some water?