User

Default Hunting with Hand Guns versatility of a Ruger .357 ?

Good day members.
    I have a Ruger .357cal that I am thinking of selling. I know the market is overflowing with hand guns and their re-sale prices are not good. Would their be an interest in the Hunting Hunt guns market a need for such an item ??

The Ruger is in a great condition, if there are interest I will upload photos, at this stage I am testing the market.

User

Default Re: Hunting with Hand Guns versatility of a Ruger .357 ?

Which model is it?

I am looking for a GP100 or S&W 686/586 with a 4” barrel for this purpose.

I am wincing at another license application though.

Regards,
    Wesley

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Gert, a .357 makes for a decent hunting caliber for the small animals only. That is limiting its use and thus the market. Most handgun hunters would opt for at least a .44 Magnum for "general" use. I have downed some Warthog with a .357 and would take on up to Impala, but nothing bigger.

A decent Ruger would be sought after. The price issue of six shooters I believe is because buyers started to believe they are worthless. There are still buyers that would buy a Ruger or Smith of good quality for a price more befitting a firearm with such "intrinsic" value.

The Taurus and Rossi etc buying craze of the 1990 - 1994 era is now flooding the market on those as the buyers during that time are now getting too old to be troubled with re-licensing etc.

User

Ruger made a huge variety of 357 revolvers, including the Black hawk single actions and various double action models.

Please divulge the model name, barrel length and whether it is stainless steel or blued carbon steel?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Gert, a .357 makes for a decent hunting caliber for the small animals only. That is limiting its use and thus the market. Most handgun hunters would opt for at least a .44 Magnum for "general" use. I have downed some Warthog with a .357 and would take on up to Impala, but nothing bigger.
    Why not bigger animals?

A slow .357" (9.1mm) bullet - even at handgun speed - should deliver enough penetration?

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Why not bigger animals?

A slow .357" (9.1mm) bullet - even at handgun speed - should deliver enough penetration?
    Penetration is not a problem, I killed an large, injured, eland bull with a 158gr RFN cast bullet from a 4" barreled .357 magnum. The bullet penetrated both shoulders, stopping under the skin of the far shoulder.

The problem is that the wound channel is rather small. It kills but take a long time to do so. I have used it on warthog and fallow deer and would agree with Adoons that this is about as big an animal as I can recommend the .357 magnum for.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Ds J, I know this phrase is a "Can of Worms", but a .357 just don't have "knock down power." The penetration is decent. On quartering away shots on warthog I have seen 25 - 30 inch penetration through warthog "guts and heart" and finding the bullet against the opposite shoulder blade. On Impala they also penetrate up to the opposite shoulder blades or skin. If compared with the .44 with 240 gr XTP's that mushroom to 1 inch and also penetrate far enough the difference in idea of "knock down" becomes better to understand. With the .357 I use SJSP ammo to get penetration. Hollow points lack in penetration.

Banned

Thanks Folks! It makes sense.

Banned

I have shot B/Buck and W/Hog using .357 Mag and I no longer consider it a hunting worthy caliber, I will not use the .357 Mag again as hunting, first shot weapon.
    I shot a MT Reebok with a 9 mm, it dropped right there, I later shot a problem domestic pig (while I running) shot it 4 x before it lay down and I was able to place a perfect shot. The DRT Mt Reebok did not make the 9 mm a hunting caliber.

Unless you break major bones or destroy the CNS the .357 just goes through, even with hollow points, soft points or SWC bullets.
    I found a B/Buck next to the road that some fool had shot from behind and wounded, I shot it 5 x just where I could get a shot in on the chest. Eventually it stopped long enough for me to choose and aim on both shoulders.
    Exact same story with a Warthog I found wounded on a farm, a big one, 60-70 kg live weight, except it was more like 7 - 8 shots to end it.

I actually do not care what anyone say's, I have shot enough animals with the .357 Mag to be able to say with certainty that it will kill almost any game animal eventually and some even imiediatly, just like a .303 or AK on elephant or rhino.

If you ONLY ONLY shoot the most absolutely perfect shots, with only the most perfect presentations and can shoot inside a 2" group always every time, perhaps your track record would be better, but if you human and need to get the shot in even if the angle is only 90 % perfect, then naaaaa!!!!!!
    I personally feel a bow is a more sure thing shot than a .357 mag.

Fire away as you may.........................................

That said, most Rugers still attract good prices, always someone wanting a Ruger specifically and some specific Rugers demand very good money.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Why not bigger animals?

I consider a 200 gn SWC bullet about the best for hunting with a 357 Mag. The 200 - 210 gn RFN types, borrowed from the 358 Win / 35 Whele rifles, also seems to work well. Penetration is good, but expansion minimal, making shot placement critical. I would limit the 357 Mag to smaller game and distances where shots can be placed properly.

The 44 Mag exists for good reasons, and handgun hunting is one of them.

I own and shoot both, and enjoy them both a lot.