Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

I strongly support local, when I can. But must agree somethings are hard when a combo pack scope here is double what you pay bringing it in yourself.
    Bringing In AR mags landed at 240 vs 450 here when you buying 10 is a huge savings.im glad it worked out for you and will definitely do some off shore research next time I have funds for a scope.
    Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    When I started this it was R15.5k, and that's without the combo pack. They only discounted it last week when I looked again. Is it worth the risk... who knows, but I did it. If your income allows you to buy and support local, by all means do it. Crossing the road is a risk, so was this.. (and I really wanted the extras in the combo pack)

Default Re: I brought a scope in from the USA, and it was all legal..

Quote Originally Posted by SJB View Post
    I am looking at getting a scope from the US. But how do you find the HS code? As the scope I am looking at is about $1700. The company selling the scope sorts the ITAR as part of the deal they just need the ITAC / import permit first.
    Note your item is over the $500 threshold he mentioned.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Yes i saw that part. But the company does complete the ITAR permit that should sort that part out. They do ship internationally so seems they have all the stuff on their side sorted.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    He mentions they will sort the ITAR part (needed for over $500). I sent him the correct code (well the one I used) in a private message.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    He mentions they will sort the ITAR part (needed for over $500). I sent him the correct code (well the one I used) in a private message.
    Appreciate the assistance with that.

User

you will really like the distance ranging using mils.

User

I see you didn't mention your "dubai police" part.
    It seems the biggest issue I've found with shipping gun parts is Dubai Customs.

I recently had an experience where I shipped about 50k worth of gun stuff using UPS with all the correct documentation and permits. It was held by Dubai Customs for almost 2 weeks before being returned to the USA. Turns out UPS didn't attach ITAC documentation, and even once forwarded Dubai Police refused to sent to destination.

Eventually after 2 months of fighting with Dubai Customs, and eventually getting the head of UPS International Shipping involved the parcel was back in the USA.
    I then shipped with FedEx using all the same documentation and shelling out $1300 for shipping... the parcel arrived in SA in 7 days.

Now my issue with Dubai Customs is this. They literally took all the parts out and inspected them, no issues there, but they treated it like their ass. My Athlon scope box looked like some ass had a curry dinner over it and then they played some soccer to settle their food... luckily the scope inside was not damaged, can't say the same for my one set of lenses for Oakley M-Frames, as well as missing MP5 magazines, CMC Trigger, and MP5 magwell.

Fortunately due to the stink caused I was able to get a refund from UPS for all the missing stuff, well except the one MP5 mag as we only realized it was missing when it got back here.

So as Mr Blaauw says it is risky.

User

Yeah at least they just repackaged the scope without properly fitting the foam supports correctly, yours was way worse. I've heard other horror stories from people who had all the correct paperwork in place, and Dubai customs still confiscated it. What's the point of getting all the permits and paperwork, when they're a law onto themselves..

User

My dad had a gold Rolex 'confiscated' by officials in Dubai. It disappeared while going through the airport scanner when he was on his way out of country on the last day of a work visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    I see you didn't mention your "dubai police" part.
    It seems the biggest issue I've found with shipping gun parts is Dubai Customs.

I recently had an experience where I shipped about 50k worth of gun stuff using UPS with all the correct documentation and permits. It was held by Dubai Customs for almost 2 weeks before being returned to the USA. Turns out UPS didn't attach ITAC documentation, and even once forwarded Dubai Police refused to sent to destination.

Eventually after 2 months of fighting with Dubai Customs, and eventually getting the head of UPS International Shipping involved the parcel was back in the USA.
    I then shipped with FedEx using all the same documentation and shelling out $1300 for shipping... the parcel arrived in SA in 7 days.

Now my issue with Dubai Customs is this. They literally took all the parts out and inspected them, no issues there, but they treated it like their ass. My Athlon scope box looked like some ass had a curry dinner over it and then they played some soccer to settle their food... luckily the scope inside was not damaged, can't say the same for my one set of lenses for Oakley M-Frames, as well as missing MP5 magazines, CMC Trigger, and MP5 magwell.

Fortunately due to the stink caused I was able to get a refund from UPS for all the missing stuff, well except the one MP5 mag as we only realized it was missing when it got back here.

So as Mr Blaauw says it is risky.

I on several occasions have had huge fights with Fed Ex on receiving items in packages that looked like they dragged it behind their vehicles to our shop. Was non firearm related. But dont just blame customs on this. Might be a bt of both in the handling part.

UPS is our companies preferred shipper from Germany. They so far way above FedEx and DHL in service.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast