Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: musgrave 7.62 x 51mm price

OK, I'm sure I explained it twice already, but I'll try again. Perhaps it would help to first understand the chronology:

First came the Musgrave Vrystaat Mk I and Mk II rifles (early 70s), which were all pure hunting rifles with magazines.

Thereafter, on realising the accuracy potential of the Vrystaat actions, the RSA single shot target actions were developed from the Vrystaat, by giving it a solid base (instead of a cutout for a magazine) as well as the enclosed top, with only a relatively small ejection port. This was mid 70s to early 80s.

After production of the target rifles ended, there were mostly finished single shot actions left (just actions, NOT rifles). It was therefore decided to again build hunting rifles with those actions. Thus, the bottoms were cut open and modified for a magazine, and the tops were cut open to allow top loading. They basically turned the RSA action back into the Vrystaat action it was derived from in the first place. Rifles build (brand new) using these actions were called the Model 2000, and I believe this is one of those. The stock shape and finishing is identical to the older Vrystaat Mk II (including the step-line checkering). The only "clues" that it isn't a Vrystaat Mk.II is the bolt stop (a definite improvement on the Vrystaat's) and the serion number that does not start with OB. In all other repects it really seems identical, which kinda is to be expected.

A-R, no SA-made Musgrave actions were ever investment cast, they were machined from EN19 bar stock.

User

You sure about that? On both my RSA target actions the area under the base in way of the trigger attachment point is uneven. It looks like a casting that had the base machined level except for that area.

User

I can only relate what I read in the PAAA book, which states that the actions were made from EN19. it doesn't explicitly state it was machined from bar stock, however the EN grade steels are generally supplied as stock.

Banned

Thank you Pirate for explaining twice, I understand now what you are saying. Action is not a rifle, quiet correct.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    A-R, no SA-made Musgrave actions were ever investment cast, they were machined from EN19 bar stock.
    It might interest you that I have in my possession an un-machined Mod 80/83 action. It looks just like an investment casting to me.

If this was machined from bar stock, how did it get into the condition it is in, without showing any machine marks, but rather a coarse sand-blasted finish?

Many gun makers were reluctant to admit to using investment cast parts. That is because "cast" was commonly associated with cast iron, which is brittle and generally deemed of poor quality.

The R/LM-4/5/6 rifles also show some cast parts, like the gas block and folding stock knuckles. LEW clearly had the capability.

Just to show that investment cast gun parts were quite popular at the time, here are a few examples:
    Ruger rifle actions (M77 etc), pistol slides and frames (M85 etc) and revolver frames. Ruger pioneered Stainless Steel investment casting.
    Brno ZKK 600 series rifle actions and bolts, CZ 550 actions and bolts and CZ pistols frames and slides (75 etc.).
    There are others too...

Banned

There ya go !

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    It might interest you that I have in my possession an un-machined Mod 80/83 action. It looks just like an investment casting to me.
    Ja... my statement wasn't correct. I'll plead finger-brain disconnect. The statement should probably have said SA-made "Mauser-type" actions, but I really did kind-off forget about the Mod.80s!

That action ok yours (really cool thing to have) looks like a casting because it is a quick glance in the PAAA book shows the action, bolt, bottom metal and a few other components being cast.

your statement about the (incorrect) negative perceptions about about investment casting are spot on. my opinion on why this is will probably make me rather unpopular with the " 'merica best guns" crowd...

Banned

Pirate speaks of his book PAAA, so being me , I want it as well - I am a reading junkie. I have a few hundred south african rands to spare, and a new book will be nice.

Imagine my surprise, The QuarterMaster - yours for only R6037.50, there is also a copy for R3622.50, but it probably wont have pictures at that low price and then how will I be able to read it ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Pirate speaks of his book PAAA, so being me , I want it as well - I am a reading junkie. I have a few hundred south african rands to spare, and a new book will be nice.

Imagine my surprise, The QuarterMaster - yours for only R6037.50, there is also a copy for R3622.50, but it probably wont have pictures at that low price and then how will I be able to read it ?
    It's an absolute gem of a book and worth the asking price and more. I expect the expensive one may be a signed first edition.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post

You and me together!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast