Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot pistol

User

Default Re: Red dot pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Ok Cool.

Now please remove the dot so that we can see the machined surface finish, Im sure it will hold zero when you reinstall ;-)
    No this video is the best I can dohttps://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/628e2ce0...520-WA0013.mp4

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cbotha15 View Post
    No this video is the best I can dohttps://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/628e2ce0...520-WA0013.mp4

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Thats the main reason why I have not started shooting Production Optics, When a dot breaks at a match, fit backup dot and re-zero, 100 rounds and a major lack of confidence later

But that does look lekker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Thats the main reason why I have not started shooting Production Optics, When a dot breaks at a match, fit backup dot and re-zero, 100 rounds and a major lack of confidence later

But that does look lekker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It takes you 100 rounds to zero a dot? What do you do when the iron sights fly off the gun at a match?

User

Those of us who can't afford it will stay with iron sights.

User

Quote Originally Posted by drie57 View Post
    Those of us who can't afford it will stay with iron sights.
    There are also those of us who don't want to make our concealed carry guns bulkier and more snag prone by bolting things onto them. I'll certainly consider a dot for my sport gun but would need to get confident of it's 'failsafeness' and very proficient with it before I'd consider putting one on my carry gun.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    There are also those of us who don't want to make our concealed carry guns bulkier and more snag prone by bolting things onto them. I'll certainly consider a dot for my sport gun but would need to get confident of it's 'failsafeness' and very proficient with it before I'd consider putting one on my carry gun.
    Pistol mounted optics have come a long way in the last 4 years or so. They are now at the point where they are reliable enough to be put and trusted on carry guns. People are just slow to change. Red dots on pistols are not new Its been done since the early 2000's

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cbotha15 View Post
    Pistol mounted optics have come a long way in the last 4 years or so. They are now at the point where they are reliable enough to be put and trusted on carry guns. People are just slow to change. Red dots on pistols are not new Its been done since the early 2000's
    I'm aware of the history and current state of the art wrt to carry optics. That being said, I've been carrying and shooting iron sighted, SA/DA pistols with external hammers for more than 30 years. Before I became 'quicker to change' I would need to convince myself that I could depend on the device and that I performed better enough with it to make the extra bulk, snaggability and potential for failure worthwhile. Precisely the same principle would apply to me deciding to make the change to a striker fired or shrouded hammer platform where I couldn't manage the hammer on holstering.

Being 'quick to change' is not a virtue in of itself any more than being 'slow to change' until you have a good reason isn't.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I am with Oafpatroll on this one, BUT (always a but), for my lifestyle and work. If I had an "office" job I would probably reasoned differently. I climb through fences, jump from tractors and wagons, crawl underneath trucks and other farm implements, fall with motorbikes.... etc. I am not confident that a RDS will have me confident that I will have a sight picture when the time comes when needed. I don't abuse my EDC (Glock 19), but it works really hard.

I have a RDS on my wheelgun though and for its use for sport shooting and occasional handgun hunting I am really content with it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    I have a RDS on my wheelgun though and for its use for sport shooting and occasional handgun hunting I am really content with it.
    I have one on order for my semi-auto shotgun and look forward to wringing it out. Probably also try one on my sport pistol when one of my much richer mates upgrades and sells me a second hand cheapy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I'm aware of the history and current state of the art wrt to carry optics. That being said, I've been carrying and shooting iron sighted, SA/DA pistols with external hammers for more than 30 years. Before I became 'quicker to change' I would need to convince myself that I could depend on the device and that I performed better enough with it to make the extra bulk, snaggability and potential for failure worthwhile. Precisely the same principle would apply to me deciding to make the change to a striker fired or shrouded hammer platform where I couldn't manage the hammer on holstering.

Being 'quick to change' is not a virtue in of itself any more than being 'slow to change' until you have a good reason isn't.
    At the end of the day it comes down to the phrase: If the juice is worth the squeeze. A lot of the failures of red dots are due to improper installation and mounting. If you are willing to put in the effort to get it done properly and maintain that in terms of tightening screws and checking loctite (something irons sight screws also need), changing the battery once a year. Then I believe the extra effort is worth it for the advantages. The red dot is a simpler aiming system that does not require you to line up objects on 3 different vocal planes. It can help people with bad or deteriorating eye sight like myself. It's generally easier to shoot targets at further distances. Its also better adept to shooting in various lighting conditions, which is important for a carry gun. It allows me to focus on the target instead of the front sight so you can be more "threat focused"

At the end of the day people need to answer these questions and decide if its something they want or not.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast