Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: South Africa nearing Zimbabwe/Argintina/Venezuela type crisis

No need to collapse the collapsing grid, as soon as smartphones become un-useable a lot of people would not be able to manage life.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean KZN View Post
    No need to collapse the collapsing grid, as soon as smartphones become un-useable a lot of people would not be able to manage life.
    If the grid collapses people will soon find out just how little smartphones have to do with living.

User

Smartphones are remarkable survival tools if you know how to use them, even without signal- a palm-sized computer with a reference library, camera, flashlight, compass, GPS, maps, notepad, calculator...

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    Smartphones are remarkable survival tools if you know how to use them, even without signal- a palm-sized computer with a reference library, camera, flashlight, compass, GPS, maps, notepad, calculator...
    But without the internet you cannot transfer funds to phone for help or buy a flight out.

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    True, wouldn't argue with those and hadn't thought of them as the vast majority of people I know use them to scroll through shit on vleisboek and Instagram.

User

And think of people that have radios for emergencies that use sim cards and cell data.

User

Just a reminder for everyone in Gauteng, NW, Limpopo, Northern Cape, the Border is really not that far, nobody is leaving on a plane in the event of a total collapse, at least not from any Airport Hubs, have enough diesel, food, ammo, to make the journey by car, 4x4 is better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Everyone says TIA, however I feel SA is different to the rest of Africa. The demographics, the infrastructure, resources. The percentage is not as skewed as the rest of Africa.

The outcome will be the same no doubt but IMO the process will stretch a few decades. Slow boiling frog that has been simmering for decades already.

That said we are out. The Mrs leaves late June and I probably the end of 2022 if all works out. We leave our entire families in SA. Im based in the EC. To visit the Mrs family in the cape is 10 hours drive and 4.5k in fuel before the current increase. To fly from Europe is 10 hours and an 8k cheap ticket. Not so bad really.

Il leave with a heavy heart. I love SA and particularly the lifestyle I have here. My safe is full.Years of accumulating firearms and waiting for the licenses. I'd like to keep them...Will be interesting to know how because they all expire at different dates. Hunting trip each June maybe...

User

Lot of doom and gloom here. Now, I am not naïve about our country's current state, and cANCer desperately needs to go, the sooner the better. Things will likely get worse before they get better. Everyone here raised valid points that cannot be ignored.

But to suggest that all of these predictions of collapse are inevitable and there is nothing that can be done to prevent them, is basically surrendering to despair. Come on, let's focus on what we as individuals can do about it before it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. For starters, organize your finances to maximize tax avoidance to avoid feeding the gravy train, get involved in local community efforts such as neighborhood watches to fight crime and/or Church charities to help the people suffering from economic problems. And VOTE. Your vote does matter, and if you refuse to vote then you forfeit your right to complain about our dismal political state.

If a collapse comes, I myself have nowhere else to go, I have no skills that can translate as useful in any other country in the world. My life began in this country, and one way or another, this is where it is going to end.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    Lot of doom and gloom here. Now, I am not naïve about our country's current state, and cANCer desperately needs to go, the sooner the better. Things will likely get worse before they get better. Everyone here raised valid points that cannot be ignored.

But to suggest that all of these predictions of collapse are inevitable and there is nothing that can be done to prevent them, is basically surrendering to despair. Come on, let's focus on what we as individuals can do about it before it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. For starters, organize your finances to maximize tax avoidance to avoid feeding the gravy train, get involved in local community efforts such as neighborhood watches to fight crime and/or Church charities to help the people suffering from economic problems. And VOTE. Your vote does matter, and if you refuse to vote then you forfeit your right to complain about our dismal political state.

If a collapse comes, I myself have nowhere else to go, I have no skills that can translate as useful in any other country in the world. My life began in this country, and one way or another, this is where it is going to end.
    hear hear

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast