Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: South Africa nearing Zimbabwe/Argintina/Venezuela type crisis

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    Lot of doom and gloom here. Now, I am not naïve about our country's current state, and cANCer desperately needs to go, the sooner the better. Things will likely get worse before they get better. Everyone here raised valid points that cannot be ignored.

But to suggest that all of these predictions of collapse are inevitable and there is nothing that can be done to prevent them, is basically surrendering to despair. Come on, let's focus on what we as individuals can do about it before it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. For starters, organize your finances to maximize tax avoidance to avoid feeding the gravy train, get involved in local community efforts such as neighborhood watches to fight crime and/or Church charities to help the people suffering from economic problems. And VOTE. Your vote does matter, and if you refuse to vote then you forfeit your right to complain about our dismal political state.

If a collapse comes, I myself have nowhere else to go, I have no skills that can translate as useful in any other country in the world. My life began in this country, and one way or another, this is where it is going to end.
    Farting against a hurricane. Lots of other 'parties' to step in when and if the ANC ever loses an absolute majority. Our problem is a people problem not a party problem and it's a problem of people voting for patently criminal politicians who tell ludicrously thin lies. That's how we do it here and that's not changing, in fact the EFF for example shows every sign of growing as the economy implodes. The people who choose to vote for parties that do anything even remotely constructive represent an ever shrinking minority. The overwhelming majority of middle class people in SA have no control over their tax contribution as their employers give it to SARS before they get it and everything else they buy has it baked in so nothing to be done there. No amount of churching or donating or animal sheltering or neighbourhood watching can affect our macro problems. If it makes you feel better to believe that the end of the bits of SA that resemble a modern functional state is not inevitable then I envy you that comfort. Sadly, the fact that you think you have nowhere else to go in no way affects the reality of where we're at.

Banned

Lot of doom and gloom here. Now, I am not naïve about our country's current state, and cANCer desperately needs to go, the sooner the better. Things will likely get worse before they get better. Everyone here raised valid points that cannot be ignored.

But to suggest that all of these predictions of collapse are inevitable and there is nothing that can be done to prevent them, is basically surrendering to despair. Come on, let's focus on what we as individuals can do about it before it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. For starters, organize your finances to maximize tax avoidance to avoid feeding the gravy train, get involved in local community efforts such as neighborhood watches to fight crime and/or Church charities to help the people suffering from economic problems. And VOTE. Your vote does matter, and if you refuse to vote then you forfeit your right to complain about our dismal political state.

If a collapse comes, I myself have nowhere else to go, I have no skills that can translate as useful in any other country in the world. My life began in this country, and one way or another, this is where it is going to end.
    C'mon. I don't mean to be mean, but this country has been on a steady decline for 20 years now and has now reached a critical point.

EVERY government run institution is in ruins, or close to it, due to corruption and incompetence though jobs for pals.

And now the ANC have let it get to the point where infrastructure, for instance like cable theft have gone from simple thieves into cable syndicates with AK-47s.

Only the Western Cape is holding out as some sort of light in the dark.

This country is on the verge of collapse in every aspect. The question is, can it be turned around. Maybe, maybe the rot is too deep.

But whatever the case, it WON'T be the ANC that takes out out of this hole. And will the majority of the population vote for the DA, because let's face it, they are the only party that can turn this ship around.

User

What use to get to me before I accepted the probability is that, my parents are mid 60’s, they get to see their grandchildren a lot, I might not have that luxury…
    I have skills that are needed abroad backed with qualifications, but I dont have 5 lathes, 2 boring mills, a 60-80 ton a month fabrication shop, 9 bakkies, literally machines for days, abroad…
    If I ever had to leave here, it would be for investment and not to start over
    I was born with massive privilege, I have never been hungry, i sell a lot of shit on here to fund my hobby because I cant dedicate a sensible portion of my income to something that does not generate income….
    I have associates in Zimbabwe with more money than me, the can afford the 900 bucks a bottle of whiskey, though it would be seriously relaxing to know that running a successful business in a healthy business market was a given instead of a chance, whatever the odds may be…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

When my wife was alive we didn't leave for the sake of her family. Younger sisters and her mom. She didn't want to leave them here to perhaps die here while she was safe and comfortable overseas.
    I have the skills and qualifications to go and work anywhere but I will be staying here for the foreseeable future. Currently everything that matters to my children and to me is here.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    Everyone says TIA, however I feel SA is different to the rest of Africa. The demographics, the infrastructure, resources. The percentage is not as skewed as the rest of Africa. The outcome will be the same no doubt but IMO the process will stretch a few decades. Slow boiling frog that has been simmering for decades already.That said we are out. The Mrs leaves late June and I probably the end of 2022 if all works out. We leave our entire families in SA. Im based in the EC. To visit the Mrs family in the cape is 10 hours drive and 4.5k in fuel before the current increase. To fly from Europe is 10 hours and an 8k cheap ticket. Not so bad really.Il leave with a heavy heart. I love SA and particularly the lifestyle I have here. My safe is full.Years of accumulating firearms and waiting for the licenses. I'd like to keep them...Will be interesting to know how because they all expire at different dates. Hunting trip each June maybe...
    I have to add here. We are leaving purely for financial benefit/reasons and to hopefully secure a second passport later. Our intention is to return back to SA to retire, hopefully earlier than we anticipate. That however really depends on the state of SA at that time and if our desire at the time is such that we want to return. We will however have that option.

User

Prepare don’t despair… there is a difference.

User

It’s not about being pessimistic, it’s about being realistic, if the DA wins tomorrow nothing changes, unless the 50 million unemployed people walk into the sea and drown themselves.
    We do have a more robust economy than the rest of the continent, but that is being broken down each day, literally each day. The roads are going to shit, the power is barely on, and many towns go without water for many days.

I say if you have the means to leave, and you do so, you are smart, you are not somebody that can be labeled as giving up or some nonsense, just plain smart. Smart because we are going down the shit hole, one way, we will become like the rest of africa, useless.

If you don’t have the means to leave, buckle up and dig in, just don’t fool yourself thinking things will get better, they won’t, they are going to get a hell of a lot worse. All deserts have plants and animals growing/living in them, they just adapted to the environment, so must we.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    It’s not about being pessimistic, it’s about being realistic, if the DA wins tomorrow nothing changes, unless the 50 million unemployed people walk into the sea and drown themselves.
    We do have a more robust economy than the rest of the continent, but that is being broken down each day, literally each day. The roads are going to shit, the power is barely on, and many towns go without water for many days.

I say if you have the means to leave, and you do so, you are smart, you are not somebody that can be labeled as giving up or some nonsense, just plain smart. Smart because we are going down the shit hole, one way, we will become like the rest of africa, useless.

If you don’t have the means to leave, buckle up and dig in, just don’t fool yourself thinking things will get better, they won’t, they are going to get a hell of a lot worse. All deserts have plants and animals growing/living in them, they just adapted to the environment, so must we.
    Agreed… You cannot pick up a piece of shit by the clean end.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post

Fully agree.
    Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst

User

Even the small things creeping in like poor water quality are worrying. Starts small and ends up a huge issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast