Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default 150gr bullets in a 308. Hornady Interlocks. All rounder?

I am an over thinker when it comes to Bullet choice. Over the past few years have posted various threads and have tried various combos in my 308. I can’t say any combo has truly failed me in my personal rifle. At one stage I was a firm believer in the 308 with 180gr cup and cores for everything. During lock down, I loaded some hornady interlocks , the 150gr at 2750fps as its all I had. I initially shot only impala , but since then had the opportunity to shoot Blue wildebeest, Ostrich, black wildebeest and zebra. Discounting close up head shots, all the other were boiler room shots and have not recovered a bullet. I heard of people in the eastern cape using the 150gr 308 combo with success. (Further out the bullet is much slower so should hold together). I have confidence in this combo, but I’m beginning to wonder if it’s wise keeping this as an all round combo or moving back up to the slower 165gr or 180gr interlocks Or just loading 150gr monos...

User

Default Re: 150gr bullets in a 308. Hornady Interlocks. All rounder?

I moved from 150gr Interlock to the 165grn. Nice and modest at 2550

Works a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I have used the 150gn Interlock (flat base) bullets a bit in Bushveld conditions. At closer ranges the high MV tends to cause fragmentation and meat wastage, depending on shot placement off course. I still have a few of them left and will keep using them, but preferably on smaller game, vermin, head shots and longer distances.

For an all-rounder load I would easily go to a 180gn Interlock pushed at moderate MV (+/-2400 fps). This would hold together much better and penetrate deep in heavier game.

With mono copper expanders, make sure they will stabilize properly with your rifle's barrel twist. From my 1:12" rifle, the 130gn bullets penetrated deeper and straighter than 150gn versions. The 150gn mono Cu. expanders seem to be marginally stabilized, which is enough for accuracy, but they tend to tumble after impact causing less than perfect terminal performance. With a 1:10" twist barrel, the 150gn mono Cu bullets seem the best performers.

For the last just over 20 years of only hunting with my 308. I have only used 150gr Super Hammerheads. In the early 2000s it was actually 156gr and then Sako went to 150gr.

For range Shooting I use 155gr Amax or now ELD.

With the 150 I took a Kudu Bull at +-340m in Merweville area. Shot on the Rib cage behind front leg. Went through 1 rib bone on the entrance side. Through both lungs and heart and exited on other side between two ribs just grazing them.

Banned

I have since 2002 advocated the use of the 168 gr bullet, it just works. I have never needed to even try anything else. I am now setting a 17 year old up on his first rifle, it is a .308 and the 168 gr interlock bullet is the standard we will stick to.
    The .308 works just fine with a reputable cup and core bullet at 168 gr velocities, if I were to ever move away from this combo it would only be to use a mono bullet.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

From my 30-06 with 180 gr interlocks and noting the distances travelled on impact and guestimate the velocity by then I came to the conclusion that Interlocks are performing good below an impact velocity of about 2400 fps and piss poor beyond 2600. I cannot think of a reason why 150 or 168 gr would be different.

Banned

My current all round load with the 308 is 180gr Sierra Pro-Hunters @ 2440fps.

If they are done (and I have quite a few left) I might consider going to 130gr mono's. The reason being that they have a flatter trajectory and very good penetration.

Personally I am slightly wary of 150gr cup-and-core bullets for all round usage, simply because a friend lost an eland with it. That said, I know several hunters who do all their hunting with PMP 150r bruinboks, and their meat is on the table.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    My current all round load with the 308 is 180gr Sierra Pro-Hunters @ 2440fps.

If they are done (and I have quite a few left) I might consider going to 130gr mono's. The reason being that they have a flatter trajectory and very good penetration.

Personally I am slightly wary of 150gr cup-and-core bullets for all round usage, simply because a friend lost an eland with it. That said, I know several hunters who do all their hunting with PMP 150r bruinboks, and their meat is on the table.
    The ,308 using 150 gr bullets is only 100 fps behind a ,270 Win shooting 130 gr bullets at sensible velocities. 130 cup and core is not clever in a ,270. I believe its the same ruling for the .308

The 150 gr bullet is just that bit too fast, crossing into the "maybe, maybe not" zone.

Internet down battling on phone

User

I wouldn't hunt with 150 cup & cores if I had a choice (for all the previous reasons stated). there are good bonded and mono options available.

For me its about the expected hunting distances: if shots are going to be 200m+, 150gr @ ~2800fps gives you sufficient legs, and at thise distances the impact speeds are not that high anymore to turn everything to mush.

If it was bushveld, or definitely a max of 200m and no further, then I'd seriously consider 180gr bullets at ~2450fps, and in that application the Interlocks should be just dandy.

User

If you shoot 150gr fast they fail terribly......

https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...=1#post1283120

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast