Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Homogenous copper bullets can be inhumane-article

He has a lot of practical experience and knowledge. As Pirate mentions above, he likes bang-flop kills, something that rarely occur with larger African antelope even with larger caliber fragile bullets. The area where he does a lot of his hunting, mountains and ravines, means that an animal that runs even a few meters might be impossible to recover. In that context I fully understand the desire for animals to drop on the spot. He can be glad he is not hunting blue wildebeest.

Mono-metal expanding bullets does make a smaller wound channel and an animal shot with them might run 50 - 100 meters before death. So death is delayed compared to fragile bullets but the delay will normally be measured in seconds. For me tracking a wildebeest, eland, gemsbuck or zebra for a 100 meters is normal. With a shot that hit both lungs or the heart/arteries above the heart the animal is invariably dead when it is found. I have never had to follow an animal, with a well placed shot with a monolithic expanding bullet, and shoot it again several minutes later to kill it. I have had to do that with half a dozen animals with perfectly placed lead core bullets that failed to penetrate to the vitals.

In my experience, with our game, mono metal bullets is the safer option.

The one situation where fragile bullets make game easier to recover is with a gut shot. However, you are not supposed to gut shoot animals and even with a fragile bullet there will need to be a follow up and an animal in extreme pain. So this is not something to base bullet choice on.

User

I did not manage to read this to the end.

Could not carry on further after the narrative about bullet shedding weight equates to a quicker kill.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    I did not manage to read this to the end.

Could not carry on further after the narrative about bullet shedding weight equates to a quicker kill.
    Well you don’t have to debate that part, that part is just fact, for any antelope from any continent.
    More damage to vitals has never, and will never lead to slower killing.

The dude is unfortunately just stuck in his scenario, otherwise he would know faster killing with softpoint bullets requires damn near perfect shooting, and perfect bullet selection for the impact velocity distance.
    His comment was not one of more reliable killing, just faster killing.

Maybe he tried too hard to put his message across that he ignored the part where other folk hunt with mono’s just fine.

User

If his engineering skill is so great why isnt he the main engineer at RWS, Norma, Lapua etc?

User

Quote Originally Posted by krieger View Post
    If his engineering skill is so great why isnt he the main engineer at RWS, Norma, Lapua etc?
    well, he is literally on the other side of the planet.

look, I'm a great engineer too, and I'm also not the main guy for any of those but I do think that qualifies me to disagree with (some of) his arguments. his biggest error however is not in his arguments, but in his premise that "his truth" is universally applicable, and therefore the only truth. This is something one gets everywhere, but that I've seen especially prevalent in the firearms community.

Banned

As I have said before, I have not been particularly impressed with any of the medium bore mono bullets. My latest venture has been the 7mm08 using Barnes TTSX 140 gr bullets, again not very happy with the end results, if not DRT then it's a long trek to find a perfectly shot animal that just took longer to die.
    I must have 60 loaded cartridges TTSX left over from a 100 (less 10 - 15 for load development), 40 used and I am on my 2nd box of Hornady 154 gr Interlocks, so 100 + used.
    I keep saying I will use the mono's for bigger stuff, like kudu, but then when hunt day comes I always end up staying with the safe and known medium velocity good cup and core bullet.

I did however like the GS Customs though, they worked so well for me.

User

From a down stream "working the meat" point of view, I can usually tell quite easily if the animal is shot with a mono or cup and core, and how fast the bullet was travelling. I do all the processing of my own animals (monos) and others using conventional bullets. There are times when I am tempted to add a surcharge for processing if the animal is shot with a cup and core, and then add 1% for every 100ft/sec over 2000ft/sec impact velocity. The faster a cup and core goes, the bigger the mess the carcass is in. The worst I have seen was a rooibok shot twice with cup and cores from .25-06.

Banned

A cup and core at below 2000 fps usually behaves very much like a bonded bullet (perhaps holds together well is a better term), even if there is cup core separation.

Banned

Why the DRT when humans are involved. Tell your stories to the lions, hyena's and wild dogs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast