Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: Building a New Shooting Range - Input please

Quote Originally Posted by High Power View Post
    This NOT true. ALL shooting ranges have to comply with the Compulsory Specification called up by the National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications (NRCS). The spec is SABS Standard SANS 10353 "Small Arms Shooting Ranges", but the SABS have nothing to do with enforcement which rests with NRCS. What you are all discusing is clearly a shooting range and not some hunting farm occasional shooting place.

The OP should contact NRCS and seek guidance before spending time and money on the project.

Peter
    Interesting... What about a temporary shooting range on my farm that I use for today, leave the backstop and distance markers their. It is just a heap of sand and boards marking the path of a pipeline. Pack up my folding table and chair and target stands. Tomorrow I use it again by putting out my "stuff." And I cannot believe it, but I forgot to load all the stands yesterday.

There are hundreds of dedicated shooting ranges on game farms to check rifles. I bet none of them up to SABS spec or needed to be.

I am no legal eagle, but I doubt this to be an enforceable law even if it was one at all. Somewhere in the description there would be a part about the type of ranges and their use and users that need to be on these standards I would guess.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Interesting... What about a temporary shooting range on my farm that I use for today, leave the backstop and distance markers their. It is just a heap of sand and boards marking the path of a pipeline. Pack up my folding table and chair and target stands. Tomorrow I use it again by putting out my "stuff." And I cannot believe it, but I forgot to load all the stands yesterday.

There are hundreds of dedicated shooting ranges on game farms to check rifles. I bet none of them up to SABS spec or needed to be.

I am no legal eagle, but I doubt this to be an enforceable law even if it was one at all. Somewhere in the description there would be a part about the type of ranges and their use and users that need to be on these standards I would guess.
    The way I understood it all these years, was that any shooting range wanting to be SAPS accredited, must be certified by SABS. And the SAPS accreditation is needed to use it for proficiency training (for competency).

The law (FCA, Act 60 of 2000 as amended) says a firearm my be used where it is safe to do so and for a legal purpose (S12 - 17).

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by High Power View Post
    This NOT true. ALL shooting ranges have to comply with the Compulsory Specification called up by the National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications (NRCS). The spec is SABS Standard SANS 10353 "Small Arms Shooting Ranges", but the SABS have nothing to do with enforcement which rests with NRCS. What you are all discusing is clearly a shooting range and not some hunting farm occasional shooting place.

The OP should contact NRCS and seek guidance before spending time and money on the project.

Peter
    Nope. Sorry, Peter. Not at all.

Only public shooting ranges and ranges that need police accreditation for training purposes.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Nope. Sorry, Peter. Not at all. Only public shooting ranges and ranges that need police accreditation for training purposes.
    May I draw your attention to the Compulsory Specification, and specfically to Sections 1.2 and 2.2.6. https://www.nrcs.org.za/CompulsarySp...09088-2015.pdf

The range that everyone has been discussing on this thread would clearly fall under 2.2.6. You will also see that the Compulsory Specification applies to ALL such ranges. There is no provision limiting it to public ranges. The FCA Regulations regarding SAPS accreditation is quite independent from the NRCS legislation. The whole aim and purpose of the NRCS is safety of the public.

Peter
    [Some time ago I was involved in the whole process of creating the SABS Standard and the Compulsory Specification}

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

What I understand is that the range under discussion falls exactly into the Exclusions of 1.2 as the exclusions are the exact description of the intended purpose and use.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    What I understand is that the range under discussion falls exactly into the Exclusions of 1.2 as the exclusions are the exact description of the intended purpose and use.
    Hunting with a 50 cal at 500m?! See post #1 for the full list.

Peter

User

Hello to all. Amazing how fast things can go south.

Some really good info here, certainly is appreciated.

The 50 cal is only for sport shooting for fun, no one is going to hunt with it. Please.

This post was intended as a dream to have type post - if you suddenly won a lottery, what would do to your private shooting range.

So thank for all the good info received, we are well on our way to making our final plans.

We have worked away to extend the range to 1.5 kilos for the 50 - simply by adding another shooting station 1 kilo from the primary shooting station.

Thanks ouens.

Quote Originally Posted by LLTHB View Post
    We have worked away to extend the range to 1.5 kilos for the 50 - simply by adding another shooting station 1 kilo from the primary shooting station.Thanks ouens.
    The 50 cal is not a small arm, it is a "destructive weapon". Please take into account that the SADF range safety rules required a 5 Km long danger area (or I suppose a very high hill, including catching ricochets).

Peter

Peter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4