Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: San Francisco tosses out pro crime Soros DA

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    Most ignorant people can be educated. Some just take longer than others, and some have to suffer the full brunt of idiotic decisions before they come to their senses. To quote Will Rodgers:
    "There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves".
    I fear that we may have an electorate that is immune to learning give that the ANC gets elected and re-elected elected for close to 30 years in places that they have literally destroyed. I thank that western democracy is wasted on this part of sub Saharan Africa and that we could actually be better off with a benevolent dictator in the style of Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I fear that we may have an electorate that is immune to learning give that the ANC gets elected and re-elected elected for close to 30 years in places that they have literally destroyed. I thank that western democracy is wasted on this part of sub Saharan Africa and that we could actually be better off with a benevolent dictator in the style of Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew.
    But we are still hoping that the advantages of a western democratic system will be noticed by the electorate where a criminal in jail's vote count as much as a working, tax paying persons vote.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    But we are still hoping that the advantages of a western democratic system will be noticed by the electorate where a criminal in jail's vote count as much as a working, tax paying persons vote.
    I'm not. Gave up that vain hope during Zuma's second term.

User

The problem with that reasoning is finding a benevolent dictator, and keeping him benevolent.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    The problem with that reasoning is finding a benevolent dictator, and keeping him benevolent.
    We're royally fucked with the system we have as it's alien to the prevailing culture which wants the 'big man'. I'm not saying that that I like the idea of a benevolent dictator but rather that it could hardly be worse than what we have now. It would at least allow for some direction instead of the rudderless circle jerk that's the superpower of the ANC/State.

No such thing as benevolent dictator. Just a dictator who is good at hiding what he takes. And very soon it becomes a family dynasty, and with no guarantee that the son is benevolent. And by then he has a full security system going, like N Korea.

I’ll take a messy democracy, free press and independent judiciary any day. Not foolproof, but the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by tcbc View Post
    No such thing as benevolent dictator. Just a dictator who is good at hiding what he takes. And very soon it becomes a family dynasty, and with no guarantee that the son is benevolent. And by then he has a full security system going, like N Korea.

I’ll take a messy democracy, free press and independent judiciary any day. Not foolproof, but the best

I'm the arch Democrat. No system has proven to create more freedom and prosperity but on an outcomes basis I don't think you can argue that it's wasted on South Africa.

User

Quote Originally Posted by tcbc View Post

I don't agree that there is 'no such thing'. Some dictators leave a more prosperous population behind than they started with. In modern times Singapore is such an example. In ancient times there were many more examples. Democracy requires a democratically inclined populace for it to work. Here we just have an expensive veneer of democracy that gets us leaders that are every bit as bad as anyone else's dictators.

that we could actually be better off with a benevolent dictator in the style of Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew.
    As long as you'd be willing to accept firearm prohibition.

User

Well, seeing as home invasions,muggings and violent death is almost nonexistent in Singapore, you don't need to EDC.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast