User

Default S&W model 27 .357

Good evening all.

Your thoughts please on S&W mod 27 .357 mag. It all seems in original condition and well looked after, doesn’t seem to have seem many shots through it. What’s something like this worth, and how are they. I’m looking for something to use on targets mainly and to use on the SA hunters revolver targets. It’s dealer stocked.

Thanks David.

User

Default Re: S&W model 27 .357

As I recall from from Classic Arms auctions S&W M27's typically go between R4 500,00 and R5 500,00. We see them often in Pin Shooting and they last well, but are typically not as robust as Rugers. Usually better triggers though. Usually more than accurate enough for pin shooting and probably for most action shooting sports. You'll find many videos on YouTube on how to evaluate used revolvers. Here's the link to a good article that I usually print out to guide me when looking at used revolvers - http://snubnose.info/docs/checkout.htm

User

The M27 is the large frame. It's what the 28 is based on( Highway Patrolman). 27 is all shiny while the 28 is dull. My guess, for a wel looked after M27, 5k wouldn't be unreasonable

User

Thanks for the response and comments.

Stunning revolvers. The action feels like a Swiss watch. Heavy cylinder which has the downside that after a lot of rapid double action work the cylinder stop cuts can burr.

User

A S&W M27 is a very good revolver

The M27 was more highly polished, the rear sight was checked on the top strap. S&W made every attempt to make this a premium revolver.

It is a N frame revolver, given the cylinder is the more massive N frame cylinder, the pistol is heavier than the K frame 357's and the recoil is less. Muzzle blast is the same. I don't know what else S&W did, I don't know if the M27 was made to be on the average more accurate or smoother than a M28. The M27 was there to compete against the Colt Python, so, S&W made it pretty, and they have slick actions. However, I love the actions in all my S&W revolvers. Some more so. The weight of the M27/M28 was such, the M66 was more popular as a carry revolver. However, constant magnum loads, especially the hot 125 grain loads, cracked barrels on K frame 357 Magnums, and so S&W developed the L frame.

If this L frame weighs less than the N frame, I would be surprised, This pistol has a full underlug barrel.

If you want something that can take a lot of full power 357 Magnum loads, a M27/M28 can take it.

Attached Images Attached Images