User

Default M1 Garand anyone?

I was perusing the auction site for Colt and Springfield 1911's when I came upon this abomination.

https://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=17948860

User

Default Re: M1 Garand anyone?

Wow, that hurts the eyes. What were they thinking?

User

Not for purist's eyes, but probably quite functional. The "Kipp Montage" seems to be one of the better scope mounting options for the type.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Not for purist's eyes, but probably quite functional. The "Kipp Montage" seems to be one of the better scope mounting options for the type.
    The Kip Montage is pretty robust, and still seen on a lot of older guns. Picatinny rails, and propitory mounts of Sauer and Blaser have made those a little less popular in recent times. I'm looking at something similar for my Ruger No 1 project. ( EAW Pivot mount )

But this is not functional at all. The scope seems to be right over the action. There will be two dings after every 3rd shot. :) (Semi Autos are limited to 3 shots when hunting).

And it's going to be a PITA to load that with a scope attached on a range day. Never mind on a driven hunt with pigs running past you at Mach 5.

User

The sniper versions of the Garand had the scope offset so it was on the left of the receiver. There was a huge leather cheekpiece that put the head in line with the scope. With the scope out of the way, the 8 round clip could be inserted.

I really wonder how that rifle would function. Loading would be difficult and I don't know if the rounds would have stove piped. Back in the day, when the Garand was the service rifle, shooters wore broad brimmed "Campaign" hats. Those hats were to protect the shooter from the hail of brass coming from the shooters on either side. Garands will eject in almost a 360 degree circle. If an ejected round hits the operating rod, it will go forward, maybe under the scope mount.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

But this is not functional at all. The scope seems to be right over the action. There will be two dings after every 3rd shot. :) (Semi Autos are limited to 3 shots when hunting).

And it's going to be a PITA to load that with a scope attached on a range day. Never mind on a driven hunt with pigs running past you at Mach 5.
    With the amount of work that went into the rifle, I would guess that the feed system might have been modified from the original 8-round clip to something more user- and scope friendly? Such mods would not be visible in the pics posted.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    With the amount of work that went into the rifle, I would guess that the feed system might have been modified from the original 8-round clip to something more user- and scope friendly? Such mods would not be visible in the pics posted.
    That could very well be. It would not have been cheap though. Which then begs the question why not just buy a Benelli Argo or Browning BAR MK3 for probably a significant amount less than that build.

And then there is the fact that the M1 Garand had a brilliant hunting record in Germany back in the day. I fail to see how it could be improved :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    And then there is the fact that the M1 Garand had a brilliant hunting record in Germany back in the day. I fail to see how it could be improved :)
    ooooh...

So what's the market there like for dollied-up Lee-Enfields then?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    ooooh...

So what's the market there like for dollied-up Lee-Enfields then?
    They command a premium.

https://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=17955234