Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: The line between hunting and target shooting scopes

I guess it depends on use a bit as well...

I have a 3-12x50 FFP scope on my .243W as I mainly use it for "voorsit"-hunting. I can adjust zoom a little bit depending on terrain/conditions, but mainly the big advantage to me is the mildot-reticle, which allows me to hold off for wind much better regardless of the magnification (usually 6-10x somewhere).
    Having to not worry about adjusting wind holds based on magnification is a big positive for me.

I have found this thread fascinating because it reads like a wake up call. I'm seeing a realisation that bigger is not necessarily better. My gunsmithing experience is now twenty years ago, but my memory of fitting scopes, lots of them, was that customers wanted the biggest they could get. My boss wouldn't supply any but cheap scopes so I found myself fitting scopes that the customers had bought elsewhere. Many, but not all, were "upgrades" from older scopes. A common feature was that most rifles had low rings or that the customer supplied low rings, so that the 50mm objectives hit the barrel before the tube hit the front ring. In many cases the back iron sight had to be removed because of the length of the scope. Some rings were so high (for the objective to clear the barrel) that a proper cheek weld resulted in eye being below scope. Very big objectives plus the variable ring resulted in a tube too short to fit the rings, or would barely fit between the rings allowing no fore-aft adjustment for eye relief. I covered all these things and a lot more in my book that doesn't sell. But I'll leave you with one other point. In low light you need an exit pupil of 7 or close. A 50mm scope set at 14x has an exit pupil of 3.6. So the advantage of high magnification is negated by a darker picture, in circumstances in which the range is often short enough that 14x is over kill. But hey, those are just my experiences and opinions - y'all must make of them what you will.

I was dead set on an Elimintaor 5 for my 6.5x55 that i am waiting for. After this thread i do't know anymore. I guees i have the feeeling that the Eliminator gives me more confidince with shot placing in the field. I have alwas been hunting with normal scopes. This just feels like an upgrade. Not sure what to do any more.
    I mean i was planning on pending around 30-40k on a scope. I want to do it right. Buy once cry once.

User

Quote Originally Posted by WAP View Post
    I was dead set on an Elimintaor 5 for my 6.5x55 that i am waiting for. After this thread i do't know anymore. I guees i have the feeeling that the Eliminator gives me more confidince with shot placing in the field. I have alwas been hunting with normal scopes. This just feels like an upgrade. Not sure what to do any more.
    I mean i was planning on pending around 30-40k on a scope. I want to do it right. Buy once cry once.
    What type of hunting are you most likely to do with the rifle?

For bushveld/thickets, where you are unlikely to shoot more than 200m, there are better options IMO.

If you are mostly hunting plains/open areas, with the expectation of shots in excess of 200m, some form of dependable ranging equipment is necessary. Either handheld rangefinder, or integrated scope/rf.

I haven't used an Eliminator, but have used a friend's rifle with a Swarovski dS. Works really well, as you are ranging from the same (hopefully] stable platform that you are shooting off and get almost instant range adjustment.

As far as buy-once-cry-once goes, make sure you buy according to a specific purpose. You can buy a decent handheld rangefinder and scope for same or less than the Elliminator.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Banned

If it has more dials and gadgets than focus setting(set and leave) and magnification dial then its a shooting scope, a hunting scope is set focus for your eye and magnification for application - use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    What type of hunting are you most likely to do with the rifle?

For bushveld/thickets, where you are unlikely to shoot more than 200m, there are better options IMO.

If you are mostly hunting plains/open areas, with the expectation of shots in excess of 200m, some form of dependable ranging equipment is necessary. Either handheld rangefinder, or integrated scope/rf.

I haven't used an Eliminator, but have used a friend's rifle with a Swarovski dS. Works really well, as you are ranging from the same (hopefully] stable platform that you are shooting off and get almost instant range adjustment.

As far as buy-once-cry-once goes, make sure you buy according to a specific purpose. You can buy a decent handheld rangefinder and scope for same or less than the Elliminator.

Mostly bushveld hunting. But i want to shoot some steel and the occasional plains hunting at longer distances.

User

Mostly bushveld hunting. But i want to shoot some steel and the occasional plains hunting at longer distances.
    The Eliminator not the right scope for bushveld hunting or really for shooting steel. the one place I think it has a viable application is voorsit type hunting, but then again, I've done that quite successfully with my 3-9x40.

User

In that case Iwould rather get a scope in the 3-15/4-16/3-18 magnification range and a decent handheld rangefinder. A "shooter scope" rather than pure hunting scope, although multipurpose scope is probably a better description

I have had several FFP target scopes with large objectives on target rifles, and I’m quite comfortable with dialing and adjusting at a range. Only have one hunting rifle , a 308w. It has a Swarovski z3 3-10x42 on it, because it’s simple and uncomplicated when in the field. I’ve settled on this combination after many other experiments.

I only use 2 magnifications, the 3x when I’m carrying in the bush/forest and may need quick close shot in low light, and the 10x , when in open area and I may need to hold over. My zero is at 200yrds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4