User

Default Italian shotgun maker's marks

Gents, I'm trying to piece together the history of "my" "new" (bought by my dad in the 70s and I finally got the licence on Friday...) Gamba-Ugartechea SxS shotgun.

The Spanish (Ugartechea) part of things have been (95%) established, but I'm struggling with solid info on the Italian (Gamba) part. Seems info on Italian maker's marks are less prevalent than for the Spanish... Specifically, I'm trying to determine if the "Gamba" refers to Renato Gamba (which has always been the assumption but which I'm starting to doubt) or "Fratelli Gamba" (Gamba brothers), which seem to have also traded as "G Gamba Gardone VT".

From the bit that I could gather, Renato Gamba marked his guns with "RG". The only non-Spanish markings on this gun is a G on the front lump, and another slightly stylized G, on the action right between the two recesses for the lumps. I'm presuming (without clear evidence) that G is for Gamba, but now I'm trying to pin down which Gamba...

So, if anyone has any info on maker's marks for the Italian manufacturers, I'd really appreciate your help.

:- P

Default Re: Italian shotgun maker's marks

I had when going through the same exercise.

I too have a Gamba and unfortunately not a Renato. I believe the other brother was Guisseppi hence the G Gamba. G Gamba Gardone VT. I may have an electronic catalogue that I printed. You also get a F'LLI Gamba Armi

Send me an email address and will send you what I have. I worked out the chokes etc. etc hope I have the data still.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    I had when going through the same exercise.

I too have a Gamba and unfortunately not a Renato. I believe the other brother was Guisseppi hence the G Gamba. G Gamba Gardone VT. I may have an electronic catalogue that I printed. You also get a F'LLI Gamba Armi

Send me an email address and will send you what I have. I worked out the chokes etc. etc hope I have the data still.
    Thanks Andrew, I was hoping you'd weigh in ;-)

What I do know is that F'LLI is short for "Fratelli", i.e. "Brothers", "Armi" is "Guns/Firearms". So F'lli Gamba Armi would translate to "Gamba Brothers Firearms".

I'll send you a PM with an email address.