Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Angry Dealer etiquette

Good evening all.

Could I ask for some advice please. I am a first time FA owner and am applying for my s13

I purchased a FA from a “trusted” dealer on the North Coast. I paid via EFT without seeing the FA and was issued the various documents for my application.

I proceeded to ask the dealer to show me the FA so that I could a) shoot it and b) verify the serial number before I submit the application.

I was then told that the dealer did not actually have the FA and that it would arrive in the next 2 days from the agents.

It is now over a week later and the dealer can still not tell me if or when the FA I paid upfront for is arriving?

My Questions:
    1. Is it normal in this industry to receive payment for an item without telling the buyer that the item is not actually in stock? - This seems dishonest.

2. Am I justified to demand a refund if I am not presented with visual confirmation of the FA by the end of this week?
    I feel like I should rather spend my 15k at a dealer that would offer better service and not act like they’re doing me a favour by “allowing” me to spend my money with them.

3. Am I being stupid and should I just wait ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

User

Default Re: Dealer etiquette

It would be nice if it was there, and what I say next goes against my natural reaction, especially if it had to happen to me.

Remember though, you guys are remote and the cost of transporting a singular gun to a buyer is expensive. How many units can dealers down there move of your specific firearm? Just give them a chance to sort out the logistics. Maybe the last batch just sold out and the new batch is arriving soon. Talk to them about it.

What is normal nowadays? If it is an owner managed small business, they are probably just trying to manage stock levels in such a way as to keep themselves in business. If they try hard to service you guys down there, support them.

And lastly, whether you shoot the gun before or after you submit your application, it is still yours, either way. Let’s say you got to test fire it before applying, and you did not like it, it’s not like you can now refuse the firearm any more…well, not as a new gun anyway.

Cheers,

User

AFAIK a dealer MAY NOT Sell a firearm unless it is actually, physically in his stock.

User

I would hazard a guess that the dealer has already paid the supplier otherwise he would not be able to provide you with a serial number.

I would also agree with Wesley that it's possible a smaller shop in a more remote area would try and manage costs as best as possible and that may entail waiting for a sizeable payload from the Big Smoke before arranging the delivery.

Check the forms they sent you. It should specify who the current legal owner is. There might also be a 350 form attached showing the transfer of the firearm from supplier to your dealer.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    AFAIK a dealer MAY NOT Sell a firearm unless it is actually, physically in his stock.
    This is also how I understand it to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they should have attached a 350 form to show it is on their stock.

User

Quote Originally Posted by phant1m View Post
    they should have attached a 350 form to show it is on their stock.
    Every dealer stocked gun i have bought has come with a 350.

User

Hi Guys.

Thank you all for the replies.

@Wesley - I get what you are saying - I think better communication would've been appreciated. I did choose to pay a higher price to buy from them and support them as opposed to buying from the agent who offered the same FA at 3k less.

@Peter, David, oaf patrol, phant1m - I do have a 350 stating that it is in their stock. They have just told me that it isn't.

I guess that I wanted to examine the FA to make sure that there wasn't any quality or build issues.

Thanks for the advice and perspective guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    Well my brother bought a FA from a well known franchise and hhe had to make multiple trips to the DFO only to be told the FA is not yet on the dealers stock on thier side.
    Eventually he went to another dealer that didnt spin him aspin hom a long story and actually HAD stock

User

I once paid for a firearm that was held up at customs for some error on importation documents. I had to wait until firearm was in the shop until I was issued a 271.

I had a long history of business with said dealer. I would not recommend a first time buyer purchase a firearm in the manner you describe, or I described, but then again the remote location changes the dynamic.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast