Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Re: .243 vs 6.5 x 55

Quote Originally Posted by WAP View Post
    Here's the new addition. Sauer classic 100 in 6.5x55. Plan on mounting a Burris Eliminator 4 or 5 when the time comes.

Attachment 34672
    Nice rifle! It deserves a decent scope though.

User

Here's the new addition. Sauer classic 100 in 6.5x55. Plan on mounting a Burris Eliminator 4 or 5 when the time comes.

Attachment 34672
    nice rifle. that Burris will be way too big for the rifle though. They have their place but if this was my rifle it wouldn't be the place...

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Very nice! Congratulations.

I hope for my license for my 6.5x55 to be forthcoming in the not do distant future. I have started getting components together for loading ammo. If I were you and finances are fine after paying for the rifle I would also start by buying at least some brass so long. I did not ask at counters for factory ammo (need license first), but brass were scarce and prices differed a lot according to age of stock. When I bought it was the last and only of 2 bags of 100 off Norma brass in the shop.

This I could not verify, but apparently there are still military firearms in NATO countries using 6.5x55 and all sources are going there lately.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Nice rifle! It deserves a decent scope though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    nice rifle. that Burris will be way too big for the rifle though. They have their place but if this was my rifle it wouldn't be the place...
    I'm not too clued up on optics. The Burris does seem a bit big for the rifle. Have not decided yet. What would you suggest in the R30k -R35k range for a scope?
    The "best" scope i have currently is on the 30-06. A Lynx LX3 2.5-15x50 Sa Hunter.

I was thinking of putting a Burris on the 30-06. Not sure.

I'm not too clued up on optics. The Burris does seem a bit big for the rifle. Have not decided yet. What would you suggest in the R30k -R35k range for a scope?
    The "best" scope i have currently is on the 30-06. A Lynx LX3 2.5-15x50 Sa Hunter.

I was thinking of putting a Burris on the 30-06. Not sure.
    On that rifle, I would mount a Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50. It is, despite the large objective lens, a light, compact scope with a 1" tube, suited to a hunting rifle. It is suited to both close range bushveld hunting and open country hunting. It has excellent glass, is reliable and will give years of service. If you plan to do longer range shooting, buy the model with the ballistic turret. The scope is a little below your budget but fitting a large heavy scope on that rifle will be counter productive.

The Burris probably have a use but I've never been able to figure out what. It has very poor glass for its price range, have a very narrow field of view and does very poorly in low light conditions or with the sun low and shining in the lenses. I have twice handed clients my rifle to shoot kudu as they could not see clearly through their Burris Eliminators in early morning conditions. So it is not a hunting scope. Neither is it a tactical/target scope.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    On that rifle, I would mount a Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50. It is, despite the large objective lens, a light, compact scope with a 1" tube, suited to a hunting rifle. It is suited to both close range bushveld hunting and open country hunting. It has excellent glass, is reliable and will give years of service. If you plan to do longer range shooting, buy the model with the ballistic turret. The scope is a little below your budget but fitting a large heavy scope on that rifle will be counter productive.

The Burris probably have a use but I've never been able to figure out what. It has very poor glass for its price range, have a very narrow field of view and does very poorly in low light conditions or with the sun low and shining in the lenses. I have twice handed clients my rifle to shoot kudu as they could not see clearly through their Burris Eliminators in early morning conditions. So it is not a hunting scope. Neither is it a tactical/target scope.
    +1 on that.

I have the Z3 scope and it has very good optics. I concur, that its bloody difficult to find your animal through a Burris Eliminator compared to decent quality optics.

User

I can't stand the eliminator. Heavy. Thick aiming points. Don't see a use for it for hunting. Buy a good quality rangefinder and do some practice at distance with you rifle.

So i came across a FB post of a guy in Australia that was contacted by Sauer and informed that there is a recall on his Sauer 100 Classic 6.5x55. Something to do with the barrel quality.
    I contacted Sauer SA and they informed me that my rifle is not affected.

You can view the recall info here

The time is coming closer to getting my licence and i find myself looking up scopes again.
    I asked my local dealer for suggestions.

He mentioned the Swarovski Z5 BT 5-25x52 BT4W and the Z5i 5-25x52.
    What do you think?

User

WAP, I would think 25magnification is for benchresting monsters, not a classy hunting rig in a classic caliber. A 2-7x37 scope is really all you ever need, but 3-9x40 would compliment the package. Dials and buttons and presets and batteries are not necessary in die veld. Large magnification often tends to create more problems than what it resolves.

Veldskiet is often under 100m, and seldom beyond 250, simply because average shooters like me don't understand wind, and don't practise enough.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast