Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: .243 vs 6.5 x 55

Quote Originally Posted by WAP View Post
    I am sure there must be a .243 or 6.5 x55 Sauer 90 lying in a gun shop some where in the country. Just trying to find it is the problem.
    Try Savuti Arms if your perhaps East Rand Based,.i handled a 6.5 Swedish there some time back,. maybe your lucky?

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

From what you describe as a family man with guns "going to the boys", I would opt for the 6,5x55 if I where you. It is more versatile in most common hunting applications than a .243

The poor guy of the 3 going on a hunt with his brothers with his 243 and the farm owner says: "No son, you don't hunt with a .243 for Kudu cows and Impala Rams and Red Hartebeest on this farm."

Banned

Someone mentioned a 7mm -08, not going to debate whether it is better or more usable than the 6.5, (bigger -heavier bullet) - but I as a .270 Win for anything guy must say that I am so, so impressed by this 7mm 08 - it is likely in all honesty a better caliber than the .308. I guess thats why it came about ? I actually feel unfaithful to my trusty old .270 because of my realizing just what a incredible rifle the 7mm 08 makes.
    Using 140gr and 170 gr bullets you can really cover two worlds of application.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Because its not a 6,5 Treeman. BC and SD and all those that we NEED to harvest biltong you see.

Before buying my 6,5 x 55 I seriously considered a 7 X 57, the ones I could find had a lot of use seen and new ones I could not get. Then I had a long and hard look at the 7mm-08 as it really makes a lot of sense for fitting in between a 30-06 and a 243 or some .25 caliber and also has a lot of all the much written about advantages of a 6,5 CM. Of the shelf rifle availability had me to grab the 6,5x55. The OP will do himself and his sons a favour by taking your advise and throw the 7mm-08 into the mix of considerations.

I'm, also leaning towards the 6.5x55. Now if i can just find a Sauer 90 in that calibre or perhaps any other Sauer model range. Safari outdoor has a 100 classic in 6.5x55 in stock. I wonder if i should just end the search for a 90 now and grab that one.

Quote Originally Posted by WAP View Post
    I'm, also leaning towards the 6.5x55. Now if i can just find a Sauer 90 in that calibre or perhaps any other Sauer model range. Safari outdoor has a 100 classic in 6.5x55 in stock. I wonder if i should just end the search for a 90 now and grab that one.
    I have a Sauer 100 classic in .308.
    Taking it to range for load development tomorrow, but for its first outing I used factory ammo. Managed a 9mm 3-shot group at 100m, which had me pleased as punch.

It has a fantastic trigger.

It has a beechwood stock and you can see where they cut costs, but it’s not in the areas that matter for accuracy and longevity.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Someone mentioned a 7mm -08, not going to debate whether it is better or more usable than the 6.5, (bigger -heavier bullet) - but I as a .270 Win for anything guy must say that I am so, so impressed by this 7mm 08 - it is likely in all honesty a better caliber than the .308. I guess thats why it came about ? I actually feel unfaithful to my trusty old .270 because of my realizing just what a incredible rifle the 7mm 08 makes.
    Using 140gr and 170 gr bullets you can really cover two worlds of application.
    I explored the options here when I bought my 308.
    Seemed to make a lot of sense, just not available for whatever reason, seeing a picture of yours had me really drooling.

User

The case capacity of the two is very similar. The one shoots a 6mm bullet, the other 6.5mm bullet. Recoil is slightly higher in the 6.5. The 6.5 is better overall hunting cartridge, and in most places is the minimum to shoot plains game, although personally, I'd feel happier taking kudu, with a 7mm or more. The .243 is the flatter shooting cartridge, with a more specialized function as a small game varminter. That is not to say that you can't hunt with it, but rather to say that if you use the wrong bullet with the wrong shot placement, it can end badly.

As note. And im late to this thread But where I mostly go hunt in Merweville area. Most farmers will not even let you shoot a Springbuck with a 243.

Then again in Sutherland 223 and 222 is used on Springbuck alot.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    As note. And im late to this thread But where I mostly go hunt in Merweville area. Most farmers will not even let you shoot a Springbuck with a 243.

Then again in Sutherland 223 and 222 is used on Springbuck alot.
    Never hunted around Merweville, seems like I never will! My experience has been the complete opposite, have hunted springbok on a lot of Karoo farms with a 243. I have yet to encounter a scenario where a 243 is not enough gun to hunt springbok with.

Most of the farmers that I have hunted with use some form of 6mm or 5.56mm as their "go to" guns.(often 243 or 22-250).

While I have seen larger animals(kudu, gemsbok, roan, sable etc) successfully hunted with a 243, I wouldn't support its use for hunting larger than blesbok-sized game.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast