User

Default Training certificate, statement of results and competency certificates

This is a bit of a story.

I have all 4 competencies and have just had them renewed within the last month. I had hand guns before the current act came into force and renewed those in 2009 under it's requirements which included doing the 117705 legal knowledge test for which I have a certificate. I then bought and licensed another handgun in 2012 and have recently renewed it's license. Unfortunately this is the only license app for which I don't have a backed up copy. In 2015 I did SLR, Manual rifle and shotgun and have those certificates and statements of result.

Having just bought another handgun I was putting together the fixings for the application and found that I do not have a unit standard 119649 Handle and Use a Handgun certificate or statement of results. Thing is I have no recollection of ever having done the practical test for the handgun.

Now for the questions:

1. Would I have needed to have the training certificate and statement of results to have applied for the handgun in 2012 or would the legal test I did on renewing my old guns in 2009 have been sufficient?
    2. Assuming I have to include the training certificate and statement of results for my new handgun application in addition to the current competency certificate can I just do the practical test with a trainer and use that?

User

Default Re: Training certificate, statement of results and competency certificates

I take it DFO rules, but on my renewal for my handgun and rifle competencies I had to submit only my certificate and no results, as the DFO said on renewal they just check the validity of the training certificate.

User

Default Re: Training certificate, statement of results and competency certificates

Quote Originally Posted by Bundu Ric View Post
    I take it DFO rules, but on my renewal for my handgun and rifle competencies I had to submit only my certificate and no results, as the DFO said on renewal they just check the validity of the training certificate.
    I just successfully renewed a handgun license and didn't submit training certificates with it. Unfortunately I have neither a handgun certificate nor a statement of results for it. PFTC has records for my other three so I assume that there was some transitional arrangement when renewing from the old act to the new which I did in 2009 that got me handgun competency . At the time I only owned handguns.

User

For competency applications and renewals I attach the PFTC Statement Of Results certificate that lists all 5 unit standards. No issues so far.

For Licence applications I only provide a copy of the relevant competency certificate. No SOR or training certificates. The one person who was DFO for a few months wants to see them when you hand in the application with him. He works with a check list that lists all the requirements for both licence and competency. The others are happy with competency certificate only. They all went through without refusal so far.

User

Thanks. Since I successfully renewed the handgun competency without submitting a certificate or SOR I'm hoping my DFO marches to the beat of his own drum and that its beat matches my own. This 'system' is funny but only if you aren't observing it first hand.