Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jojo setup info

User

Default Jojo setup info

Good people,

I'm doing some homework into municipal water backup solutions and thought it would be good to get some input from those who have already been through this.

I'm a big fan of all the DIY videos from Builders Warehouse and found this one which gives a pretty good explanation of the piping configuration.

What I'd like to ask then is the following:-
    • Is the method presented in the video a good way to go especially as a start
    • Are there steps you'd skip, add or just do differently

With regards to the accessories; I have these as required:-
    • Float valve
    • Pump
    • Pump-to-tank-connectors
    • Valves and stuffs
    • UV Light

What else is required?

So, the above should provide a decent backup solution and if used in conjunction with the correct bypass piping off the main line could be used only when required rather than continously. I imagine this will extend the lifespan of the pump.

Next, looking at future expansion. What would be required to extend this to include a rain harvesting tank? Should that tank be linked to the municipal backup tank or kept separate? If the latter, how should that water be fed into the house?

What about running the pump off a solar panel so that the backup solution can be used even when the lights are out?

And finally onto the most important question. How much should one budget for a start-up system?

Thanks in advance.

User

Default Re: Jojo setup info

I have a very similar setup. For a float valve, I used the one found in toilet cisterns. For my base, I just levelled the soil and used 450mm square paving slabs. I didn't bother with a UV light as the tank is opaque and no light gets inside. As for budget, a 2500l tank, pump and piping was just under R5k. Shop around for specials.

User

That system will be perfectly functional, a bit elaborate but functional.
    Too many cycles may be heavy on the controller, a decent pump should handle a lot as long as there are no major restrictions in the line.
    Down here people just fill from muncipal with a hosepipe.
    Solar will push up cost but if you need it you need it.
    Rain water is fine, needs to be filtered though if off a tiled roof/leafy area.
    We just chuck some chlorine in, no UV or fancy stuff.
    Swimming pool water is good, better if you run drainpipes off gutters into it, soaks up chlorine though.
    Water security is priceless, the need for it is becoming more and more apparent.
    Irrigation places or farmers co-op's are good for supplying the piping, fittings, filters etc.
    I try to keep it simple as possible.

User

If you already have a propane blow torch I would suggest that you replace a couple of the Conex fittings with solder-on fittings as they are a lot cheaper, neater and faster to work with. I normally prefer to still use a couple of Conex fittings, incase you have to change a check valve or ball valve, you can easily take it apart and reassemble again.

User

Only issue I see is the water level being maintained at full level by the ball valve that will not allow for rain water harvesting.
    Don’t worry about UV light but rather throw on a 1/4 chlorine tablet every second week to control algae as well as mozzies in summer months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Do not conect injunction with city water if so you need 2xRPZ valves.. "restriction pressure zone" one after water meter in property and 1 between turn over switch selecting city and Jojo... ... our company did all city water harvest tank installations....
    If you want to by pass this then have means of disconnect the main line to house ... such as in a complete brake of 100mm apart ... reason is for cros contamination
    Let's say you have some sort of bacteria in tank you will then contaminate the house then city line and street .. area ect ect
    You welcome to send me a personal message I think I still have the instalation specs of how ect

User

If you want to harvest rain water then get a leaf catcher and install a first flush water diverter.

I've also found Aquatabs that you can add to the tank to help purify the water. I haven't connected my tanks to the house main line, because i am renting, but i can back flow into the system if i need to.

Other accessories i've found useful are a Jojo mozzie screen and a water tank level gauge. Jojo also make a pump to tank connector kit, that makes life easier and is very good quality. It has a quick coupler pipe and fittings included in the box.

User

Thanks gents. Some good info. Had a few members reach out privately with some good tips as well as offers to assist with pricing etc when the time is right. Much appreciated all!

User

Hi folks ,
    A bit of a resurrection here …
    So the water situation in phoenix(durban) is becoming more and more unstable ..

So I am now embarking on this journey albeit very late.. but nevertheless.

Anyone got anything else to add to above?

I have some size restrictions, mainly as there is no external access to my back yard , so to get the tank delivered to me is the first issue, I think a 1000liter slim line tank will be the easiest.

I think maybe connecting to the mainline will be the best system? Float system to detect the level in the tank and it fills at a certain level etc etc ..
    I have a tiled patio covered by a carport, I wanted to install it under the carport , to avoid theft of pumps and such , can I just place it on the tiled floor?

Any input would be appreciated.
    Cheers

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ocali View Post
    Hi folks ,
    A bit of a resurrection here …
    So the water situation in phoenix(durban) is becoming more and more unstable ..

So I am now embarking on this journey albeit very late.. but nevertheless.

Anyone got anything else to add to above?

I have some size restrictions, mainly as there is no external access to my back yard , so to get the tank delivered to me is the first issue, I think a 1000liter slim line tank will be the easiest.

I think maybe connecting to the mainline will be the best system? Float system to detect the level in the tank and it fills at a certain level etc etc ..
    I have a tiled patio covered by a carport, I wanted to install it under the carport , to avoid theft of pumps and such , can I just place it on the tiled floor?

Any input would be appreciated.
    Cheers

Is there really no way of getting a 50kg plastic bubble in your backyard? 5kL is 50kg, 2.4kl is 30kg.
    Over the wall from the neighbour's side?
    What is your current water consumption?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast