Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Lessons learned from KZN Riots

Quote Originally Posted by 30.06 View Post
    On the 1st night there were about 6500 members on Zello reporting incidents and seeking assistance from various areas. Law enforcement was nowhere to be seen. The CPF usually has "operation exit" where all entrances are manned and monitored. This was put into operation on a 24 hour basis and all traffic monitored. The informal settlements were advised not to loot or destroy infrastructure because when they have fires etc its the community that provides them with relief. Some businesses on the periphery of the area were looted. The community rallied around providing bread, milk and other necessities. These were left at checkpoints for people to share. Some members did run out of meds as couriers weren't able to bring these from JHB but alternatives were found. If you shoot regularly you should have enough ammo available. People did run low on fuel but patrollers were given priority at service stations. But it's always wise to have sufficient fuel. Looters were also scared of being shot so they backed off when they saw the "big guns". Lots of people were prepared because of the "first lockdown" and has stored the basic necessities. Lessons learnt: keep a sufficient supply of the necessities you require eg. medication, soap, beverages, milk, flour, toothpaste, toilet rolls, canned food, potatoes ,onions and frozen food etc, always have ammo available in the popular calibres, 9mmp, 5,56x45, 12 gauge. Vigilantism was discouraged as many people without CPF experience decided to get involved. Weapons were not openly brandished. Because of the constant disruptions to the water supply I have installed a JoJo tank that holds a few thousand litres and it has a pump. I am now considering an energy source eg, generator, UPS, invertor etc.
    Any of the PE guys know if there is a similar Zello group or channel for PE that I can join?

User

Perhaps tongue in cheek but could be a serious problem in this scenario, any uninvited "we are to your place if shtf"-types pitch up by any of you?

Banned

Funniest or most ironical part of it was, I had anti gunners phoning me to ask if I could lend them a gun to protect themselves and their property.
    My curt response was, Voetsek, you can't borrow a gun like you borrow a book from the library!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Funniest or most ironical part of it was, I had anti gunners phoning me to ask if I could lend them a gun to protect themselves and their property.
    My curt response was, Voetsek, you can't borrow a gun like you borrow a book from the library!
    Those same people were the ones I had spoken to at length to do their proficiency training, get the competency certificates, then buy guns.
    I even offered to assist them.
    Their answer was that, a gun owner is more likely to get shot with his own gun and that since they stayed in a gated complex, security guards would keep them safe!

User

Had mates in England call and ask if I could organize their old man a gun haha

User

Those same people were the ones I had spoken to at length to do their proficiency training, get the competency certificates, then buy guns.
    I even offered to assist them.
    Their answer was that, a gun owner is more likely to get shot with his own gun and that since they stayed in a gated complex, security guards would keep them safe!
    I had some calls from the "we are all going to come to your spot if things get rough in our city" guy during the July 2021 riots... Saddest thing is that, like some of the other GS members, I had previously encouraged said guys to buy and licence the necessary firearms (and to get necessary training and ammo etc) and had even offered to help them with the process (all of which had, at the time, fallen on deaf ears).

In one case, the guy who was proposing to come to our home is a family man with 4 kids (i.e. a family of 6 people). Now the thing that he clearly didn't understand is that our planning, preparations and stand-by food, water, FAs and ammo etc has been based on my immediate family and to suddenly have 6 extra mouths to feed (of people who clearly had made no plans) would have been a massive issue.

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    Had mates in England call and ask if I could organize their old man a gun haha
    The first fundamental rule about using a gun to protect your life and the lives of your loved ones is to actually own one....

People tend to think that weapons will be handed out freely by some sort of salvation army in the event of anarchy/riots/civil war....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tayls View Post
    I had some calls from the "we are all going to come to your spot if things get rough in our city" guy during the July 2021 riots... Saddest thing is that, like some of the other GS members, I had previously encouraged said guys to buy and licence the necessary firearms (and to get necessary training and ammo etc) and had even offered to help them with the process (all of which had, at the time, fallen on deaf ears).

In one case, the guy who was proposing to come to our home is a family man with 4 kids (i.e. a family of 6 people). Now the thing that he clearly didn't understand is that our planning, preparations and stand-by food, water, FAs and ammo etc has been based on my immediate family and to suddenly have 6 extra mouths to feed (of people who clearly had made no plans) would have been a massive issue.
    Thats the problem, people think "Joe is prepared, lets go to him" BUT, like you said, Joe is prepared to an extent to which he could afford to sustain for the well being and survival of his direct family, not his friends and their family.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    The first fundamental rule about using a gun to protect your life and the lives of your loved ones is to actually own one....

People tend to think that weapons will be handed out freely by some sort of salvation army in the event of anarchy/riots/civil war....
    Or worse, thinking they can take a gun from an attacker/enemy when the shit hits the fan. I was told this by a SADF vet who I thought up to that time had at least some brain power.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MSW2 View Post
    Or worse, thinking they can take a gun from an attacker/enemy when the shit hits the fan. I was told this by a SADF vet who I thought up to that time had at least some brain power.
    Exact same conversation I had with a guy I really thought might know better. Also claimed to have been infantry lieutenant in Angola.

So he tells me not to worry about lengthy licensing procedures he will ambush enemies for their weapons!!!!

So I tell him to feel how smooth the fore end is on my Mossberg 500, Of course he stands there frustrated trying to jerk the fore end back. Face was a colour red that an African sunset would be proud of.

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast